Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

U-boot Kriegsabzeichen Unmarked Schwerin late 1.02 Type 2 variation

Article about: Just arrived in the mail and snapped some quick photos. Been on the hunt for a nice worn tombak example as I slowly expand my KM awards collection. Although I was able to identify with the h

MAP
    ?

Default U-boot Kriegsabzeichen Unmarked Schwerin late 1.02 Type 2 variation

Just arrived in the mail and snapped some quick photos. Been on the hunt for a nice worn tombak example as I slowly expand my KM awards collection.

Although I was able to identify with the help of my reference material there was a unique twist to this variant.

In Webers book it is attributed to C. Schwerin & Sohn (1.02 Variation 2) based on the obverse die characteristics and finishing. It is suggested the Schwerin supplied these awards in an unmarked form early in the war to Steinhauer & Luck prior to them having their own versions...but with anything there is a slight twist.

The version in Weber book has the block hinge attached in the reverse (block on top, pin on bottom). This award has the hinge set up with the pin on top and block on the bottom. Further the flat wire catch is soldered directly to the award without the oblong base plate.

At this point our Big Ned came to the rescue highlighting that the book is out of date and new info has surfaced. This is a later variant of the 1.02 Type 2. ! Many thanks to Ned!

It is not mint, but a nice worn award. Gilt is worn on many of the high points but overall much is remaining.

Enjoy! click to enlarge for details. LED lights are a bit harsh. The first photo in natural daylight is representative of it's color.

"Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement U-boot Kriegsabzeichen Unmarked Schwerin late 1.02 Type 2 variation
    P
    Many

?

Very Nice pick up Michael

The pic in natural light really brings out the beauty and color in the award. The LED pics just don't do it justice.

Semper Fi
    Phil

I'm actually now thinking it's a type 3b using the classification that Norm F has pioneered and since the bigger pic's are shown here. Best wait for clarification on this as I'm still only playing at it.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

MAP
    ?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Very Nice pick up Michael

The pic in natural light really brings out the beauty and color in the award. The LED pics just don't do it justice.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Thanks Phil. Yeah...the LED really washes out the color. Plus I don't think the red background helps. I should have used the black velvet...

And while we all love minty, I prefer lightly used issued awards. They still look great but you also know it was on some guys tunic a few leagues under the sea

Quote by big ned View Post
    I'm actually now thinking it's a type 3b using the classification that Norm F has pioneered and since the bigger pic's are shown here. Best wait for clarification on this as I'm still only playing at it.

Regards, Ned.
    Ok, OK....now I'm totally confused......but certainly highlights what high quality photos can do and why they are so important.

So we now wait for Norm.....

(Would be good to understand how Norm's system cross references to Webers.)

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post

Ok, OK....now I'm totally confused......but certainly highlights what high quality photos can do and why they are so important.

So we now wait for Norm.....

(Would be good to understand how Norm's system cross references to Webers.)
    It's all O.K. I don't think there's any cause for.....

Lol.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

MAP
    ?

Four more to go and a minesweeper that needs an upgrade...but getting there.....

Well done Michael, very nice awards and in particular the to this thread, the U-Boot kriegsabzeichen. The Schwerin block hinge is one that the fakers get damn close to , but with great close up images such as yours, the real deal stands out! Leon.

MAP
    ?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Well done Michael, very nice awards and in particular the to this thread, the U-Boot kriegsabzeichen. The Schwerin block hinge is one that the fakers get damn close to , but with great close up images such as yours, the real deal stands out! Leon.
    Thanks Leon. goal this year is to complete the KM collection. Probably won't achieve it but trying to!

MAP
    ?

Quote by MAP View Post
    Four more to go and a minesweeper that needs an upgrade...but getting there.....

Think I'm going to switch to a black or blue velvet background? I think the gold gets washed out with all the red...thoughts?

Midnight blue would probably be my next try!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast