Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

U-Bootkriegsabzeichen Kriegsmarine Opinion Needed

Article about: Hi All, I'm interested in this badge, particularly due to the crew man's name being etched into the reverse. I doubt a faker would go to this extent to fake a badge, but I would like to doub

Default U-Bootkriegsabzeichen Kriegsmarine Opinion Needed

Hi All,
    I'm interested in this badge, particularly due to the crew man's name being etched into the reverse. I doubt a faker would go to this extent to fake a badge, but I would like to double check with the forum first. It looks like an early tombak unmarked Schwerin to me. What do those with proper knowledge of badges think? Any thoughts on what the name might be?

EDIT: Understandably, the name is too hard to read with the photos provided. The seller claimed that he could not make out a name, but I doubt he has the badge in hand (very large site) anyone know of any photo editing software I could use to enhance the etching?

U-Bootkriegsabzeichen Kriegsmarine Opinion NeededU-Bootkriegsabzeichen Kriegsmarine Opinion Needed

Regards,
    Jake

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement U-Bootkriegsabzeichen Kriegsmarine Opinion Needed
    P
    Many

?

If you download the pics at his page and post them here in good size, maybe someone of us can be able to help
    Click the pics on weitze and when they have loaded on your screen, you click the "download" symbol.

I have a photoshop- im not 100% sure how to use it since i am a tad ignorant, and i only use it for posting pics here once in a while.

It's a good Type 2 unmarked Schwerin. The finish could be alot better, but it's authentic. Can't narrow the type down any further without seeing a close up of the catch. It's either a 2.1 or a 2.2. No idea on the name-the lighting is too low to make it out, but it's nice to see it's personalized.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I think I can just make out the name, it's very faint but looks like........., Walter Wolfram Wilhelm Weitze.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Good original but i'm thinking it might be a type 3b that features a domed-head hingepin and a flatwire catch and is unmarked ?

Cheers,Martin.

TrondK,
    Weitze does not seem to allow the downloading of his images, as I see no download symbol appear in either chrome or explorer. I can provide the link for those interested.
    https://www.weitze.com/militaria/69/...n__238069.html

Also, when referencing the "types" where is this terminology found (ex: type 2.1,2.2 etc.)? Torpedo Los by Williamson perhaps? Thanks
    -Jake

Hi, looks a good original piece to me as well, the naming is a great extra (if period). Leon

It's difficult to say from the photos, but I would still lean toward a Type 2, if only for the glob of the deck gun. The Type 3's all seem to have clearer cut cannons, but being hand worked, the lines tend to get abit grey with these pieces. Aside from this, there really isn't a whole lot of difference between them and it is a good Schwerin in any case.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

All in all it's a good original,as mentioned by all here.

If the price is good for you,then go for it.

I love to get "named" Hilfskreuzer awards myself.

Cheers,Martin.

Thanks for all the authentication help here, guys