Become our sponsor and display your banner here

U-Boots Kriegsabzeichen authenticity.

Article about: Once again I call upon the skills of this group, and this time it is going to be difficult because I only have two so-so photographs of the badge in question. Can you tell anything from thes

Default U-Boots Kriegsabzeichen authenticity.

Once again I call upon the skills of this group, and this time it is going to be difficult because I only have two so-so photographs of the badge in question. Can you tell anything from these pics?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	U-Boat 2.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	210261   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	U-Boat 1.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	210260  

Last edited by Adrian; 06-07-2011 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Title changed to use German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: U-Boots Kriegsabzeichen authenticity.

I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong but I've not come across a Schwerin U boots Kriegsabzeichen with this reverse set up. All the examples I've seen have a block hinge and coke bottle pin.

?

Schwerin Berlin badges are, apparently the most commonly reproduced of the U-BOOT badges, this one has very vague details, also one giveaway, is the propeller, it should be quite prominent but again this is lacking in detail, i would suggest that more comments should be forthcoming before a definative result be achieved, personally i doubt its authenticity, but i am no expert in this field

KSH
    ?

It is definitely a fake badge. I don't know where to start. Bad and wrong details, maker mark not entirely correct, wrong reverse setup as mentioned. There are also fundamental deviations in the design as well. Just look at the outline of the deck gun for instance.

- Kenneth

?

The trimming outline was something I noticed too but wasn't sure how many variants there are and if this corresponds to any of them.

You are right about the pin set up, it is wrong, also the eagles head matches nothing in my references

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

KSH
    ?

There are several variations, buntmetall badges (so-called types 1 and 2) and zink badges. But none that I can see in my references that match this badge in question. The deck gun on the above badge is outlined at almost perfect angles so that it resembles a near perfect cross, this I have never seen on a Schwerin.

- Kenneth

You guys rock. Thank you VERY much.

i wholeheartedly agree with the above comments by KSH