Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

U-Boots & Minensuch Kriegsabzeichen - Fake or Real?

Article about: I am needing help with the authenticity of these badges. I have read and studied pics on this site as well as others and this is out of my area. Any help would greatly be appreciated. The Su

Default U-Boots & Minensuch Kriegsabzeichen - Fake or Real?

I am needing help with the authenticity of these badges. I have read and studied pics on this site as well as others and this is out of my area. Any help would greatly be appreciated.
    The Submarine badge measures: 2 7/8 inches across by1 1/2 inches tall. Marked with the FQ on back, with a C catch and pin. Gilding ? has been worn away from most of the pin front.

The Minesweeper badge measures: 1 1/4 inches across by 2 1/4 inches tall . Marked with 51 on back under pin, with a C catch and pin. U-Boots & Minensuch Kriegsabzeichen - Fake or Real?U-Boots & Minensuch Kriegsabzeichen - Fake or Real?U-Boots & Minensuch Kriegsabzeichen - Fake or Real?
    Last edited by Adrian; 08-20-2011 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Title changed to use German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement U-Boots & Minensuch Kriegsabzeichen - Fake or Real?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: U-Boots & Minensuch Kriegsabzeichen - Fake or Real?

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    I believe the U-Boot badge is an original Orth. The Minesweeper I will reserve judgement on for the time being but I am very intrigued by it. Can you post a clear shot of the makers mark please? There is no recognised original minesweeper by maker '51', they simply were not a maker of these badges. Is the makers mark stamped into the surface or is it raised?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Thank you Adrian for your reply. The "51" on the back of the minesweeper is stamped/impressed into the metal. I will take some better shots in the morning light tomorrow and repost.

Clearer pics of the backs of the U Boat and the Minesweeper badges.. There is a mark at the top back of the U boat - looks like a + but I believe that is just part of another mark. Just noticed that in my pics. I don't see any other markings on the Minesweeper other than the 51.

U-Boots & Minensuch Kriegsabzeichen - Fake or Real?U-Boots & Minensuch Kriegsabzeichen - Fake or Real?

I might add that these badges have a nice heft to them. I know that sounds odd, but they don't have a "cheap" feel to them.

?

Many thanks for the additional photos. Regarding the Minesweeper, it is now clear the badge is a cast fake of a Souval made badge. The small holes on the surface is pitting from the casting process, small air bubbles have come to the surface of the molten metal and leave the tell tale signs.
    Original Souval badges have a raised R.S. mark on the back of which there is no sign here. As I mentioned earlier, maker '51' did not make these badges so unfortunately we can only conclude the badge is a repro. A good one however as the front is very very good, even down to the finish and wear.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....