Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Unidentified Badge or Tinnie - Opinions Please

Article about: Hello All, Can I Please get opinions this badge or tinnie? Is it authentic? What is it for? There is a small crude eagle and swastica over an "M" at the bottom center of the badge.

ETF
    ?

Default Unidentified Badge or Tinnie - Opinions Please

Hello All,

Can I Please get opinions this badge or tinnie? Is it authentic? What is it for? There is a small crude eagle and swastica over an "M" at the bottom center of the badge.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Ed
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unidentified Badge or Tinnie - Opinions Please   Unidentified Badge or Tinnie - Opinions Please  

Unidentified Badge or Tinnie - Opinions Please   Unidentified Badge or Tinnie - Opinions Please  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unidentified Badge or Tinnie - Opinions Please
    P
    Many

Default Re: Unidentified Badge or Tinnie - Opinions Please

for me a fake of the KM (Kriegsmarine)

- - Updated - -

for me a fake of the KM (Kriegsmarine)

?

It reminds me of a unit emblem badge, for what I don't know and if it's real? Again, I don't know.

The reverse set up looks like it should be real but on the other hand the crude eagle and 'M' on the obverse looks completely out of place.

Any other thoughts?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

CBH
    ?

Looks similar to a West German arm flash , not sure what unit . I'll try and look it up . Also if it was marked wouldn't it be marked on the back !
    cheers Chris

To me it looks like a period pin but the eagle and swaz looks like an addition

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Interesting badge. The emblem appears almost to be a stylized coat of arms for the city of Kiel, which as we all know is linked to the Kreigsmarine like Portsmouth is to the Royal Navy.

Below is the city of Kiel coat of arms, the background is a stylized nettle leaf, the emblem of Holstein, with the hull (or Keel?) of a boat on it. Perhaps the 'U' on the above badge represents that?

Maybe the badge is the emblem for a U-Boat, although there are over 900 of them that are documented and need checking out, i've looked a several hundred already with no luck and i've now had enough!

The pin on the reverse of the badge looks period to me, not like the 'coffin' type seen on nearly all post war fakes, and although the Kreigsmarine eagle and 'M' appear to be a poor rendition, one only has to look at similarly poor examples on Kreigsmarine pocket or stop watches to see the same. All if's and but's i'm afraid, but there maybe something in it.....

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unidentified Badge or Tinnie - Opinions Please  
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.