Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Weird Ostmedaille

Article about: Hello gentlemen ! I'm here to share a weird looking Ostmedaille with you guys and obtain your thoughts, so we can all expand our knowledge. I found this example on a local online sales websi

Default Weird Ostmedaille

Hello gentlemen !

I'm here to share a weird looking Ostmedaille with you guys and obtain your thoughts, so we can all expand our knowledge.

I found this example on a local online sales website and some characteristics quickly popped up to my eyes:

1 - It has a rude catch holding the ribbon ring on the top, probably a replaced one on a repair or simple a big red flag to a fake ?

2 - The ribbon does not seem correct either, with larger whit and speacially black lines, the seller admitted on the description of the item that it has not passed on the UV test. So no mistery on it ...

3 - I don't have much to say about the ring, tipically they are black but it's not always like that. The picture does not review the maker number and neither the seller.

4 - Although, the quality and codition of the medal does look bad, except by the flaw on the bottom round edge of the medal as highlighted on the image below.

The seller states tha in exception of the ribbon, the rest of the medal is original with moderate wear on it.

Here is Sveimhugi database for support if you desire The Ostmedaille-database

Thank you all !
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Weird Ostmedaille   Weird Ostmedaille  

Weird Ostmedaille  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Weird Ostmedaille
    P
    Many

Hi,

Well is a "Wien" design, but its hard to say from unclear pics if its cast (and what maker it mimics) or the zink is of bad quality or poorly stored (now totally disregarding the bad ribbon and "öse").
    The thing is there a cast fakes that look better than this one and struck originals from Zinc that look worse, so one would need much better pictures so say for sure.

But for me with the bad ribbon, the terrible "öse" and wrong suspension ring its just that, a cast fake.
    The chances of the medaille being a original in bad condition with a replaced/welded on "öse", replaced ribbon and suspension ring is none really. And if it were, it still be worthless/ruined.

Thats my opinion at least =)

BVery nice remarkings Sveimhugi, thank you !

You belive the seller sold this medaille, even with all these bad details, for aprx EUR 100,00 ? Crazy money even for an original !

?

Wow! 100€?!

What?? Thats crazy, where was is for sale?

100 is really expensive... as far as i know these go normally for 30-40? Auctions arent always cheap!

?

Quote by Adravor View Post
    100 is really expensive... as far as i know these go normally for 30-40? Auctions arent always cheap!
    Even worse when it's a fake.

Its true that in Brazil WWII military collectables are expensice. Ostmedailles often go for EUR 70-80 or USD 80-90 with the pouch !!!

But this one is beyond the line, specially being a fake, in which the seller even admits that at least the ribbon is repro ...

Sveimhugi, it was for sale at "Mercado Livre", for those who doesn't know its a sales plataform similar to ebay, where sellers can offer the products. Just like URUTU Militaria and this fake award.

Update: its still for sale at EUR 97.00

thank you all for your share !!!