Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

What's this ribbon?

Article about: I found a photo of my granpa and wonder what the ribbon represents? Thanks.

?

Default Re: What's this ribbon?

To my eyes, looking at the width of the central stripe and what appears to be a darker outside stripe in the second photo I'm not ruling out an EK2..........

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What's this ribbon?
    P
    Many

The ribbon tapers down too?? have not seen this perhaps a early made one.
    What's this ribbon?
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Deffo West Wall no black lines there

Wow with that pic it looks kinda like a ww1 ribbon now lol..
    What's this ribbon?
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Almost impossible to deduce, but I would go for an EK2 ribbon

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

could be many many many ribbons because its not in colour it could be a kvk,west wall,ww1 ek2,ww2 ek2, social welfare etc etc do you know what medals he was awarded??

Quote by talltom View Post
    could be many many many ribbons because its not in colour it could be a kvk,west wall,ww1 ek2,ww2 ek2, social welfare etc etc do you know what medals he was awarded??
    Beg to differ. It's definitely not a WW1 EK2 or a KVK2: the center stripe is not dark enough to be black.
    Personally, I would go along with the Westwall medal identification.

Quote by Thanatos View Post
    In the first image do you think the eagle is sewn on or just sitting on a fold.Have a look at the depression in the tunics material just under the bird.
    That's a very good observation; I think the eagle was non-permanently attached to the uniform when this photograph was taken. (Maybe by means of some pins/safety pins or even a few quick, loose stitches.)

Originally, the breast eagle was not worn on the Fliegerbluse; it was only introduced for that garment by an order of October 1940. From then on, new Fliegerblusen were manufactured with the breast eagle, while those already issued and worn had to have it affixed by the unit tailors.

The jacket seen in this photograph has sewn-in - as opposed to slip-on - shoulderboards and branch-colored collar cord piping; both were ordered to be discontinued by an order of March 1940.

If we add all this up and consider that it is hard to believe that a factory or a unit tailor would apply the eagle to the wrong side of the tunic, we can come to the conclusion that this is an early Fliegerbluse issued without the breast eagle and that the eagle was provisionally placed on the tunic by the soldier. (Possibly even just for the occasion of this photograph.)

As has been observed above, the image is definitely not flipped. This is not only clear from the look of the eagle and the placement of the ribbon bar, but also from the way the jacket's flap is buttoned. (left-over-right)

?

Thanks for all the interesting information!

What an interesting thread First of all an EK2 ribbon came into my mind but after closer inspection there are no black lines on the left hand side but on the right hand side its darker, i believe that this could just be a shadow. I think its a War Merit Cross,as the colours from left to right appear to be a lighter colour (red), then white, and then a darker colour (black) in the middle.
    Thanks, Glen.
    Attached Images Attached Images What's this ribbon? 

Just for additional illustration, I photographed the ribbons for some of the decorations discussed above and assembled them into a single image. Here is the result, in color and converted into greyscale. (Of course, depending on lighting, film material etc., the actual appearance in a b&w photo can be different.)

The ribbons are, from left to right: Top row - Imperial-era EK2, 1939 EK2, KVK. Bottom row - Schutzwall-Ehrenzeichen [= "Westwall Medal"], Rettungsmedaille [= Lifesaving Medal], Ehrenzeichen für deutsche Volkspflege or Ehrenzeichen des Deutschen Roten Kreuzes [= German Social Welfare Decoration or German Red Cross Decoration]

What's this ribbon?

What's this ribbon?

I stil think we can rule out the Imperial-era EK2 and the KVK altogether and that the Westwall Medal is the most likely candidate.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast