Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wilhelm Hobacher Kriegsabzeichen für Minesuch - Sicherungsverbände.

Article about: The first new addition of the year arrived today, an unmarked Wilhelm Hobacher Minesweeper badge. This one is a zinc badge as all Minesweepers from this maker are. The finish is quite well p

?

Default Wilhelm Hobacher Kriegsabzeichen für Minesuch - Sicherungsverbände.

The first new addition of the year arrived today, an unmarked Wilhelm Hobacher Minesweeper badge. This one is a zinc badge as all Minesweepers from this maker are. The finish is quite well preserved due to the manufacturing process. The badge was covered in a copper coating before the final finish was applied. Therefore there is a barrier between the zinc base metal and the silver and gilt finish which prevents the zinc swallowing the colours over time. You can see this copper showing through on the wear to the waterspout.
    The noticable feature of this badge is the hinge, set into an outline moulded into the badge as is the catch. This feature is useful to note when identifying this maker. Also worthy of note are the striations on the reverse of the badge on the right hand side of the eagle's wings. This again is a peculiar feature of Hobacher Minesweepers.
    You can also find them marked with WH within an oval on the pin. You may also find a mirror image of the mark on the reverse of the pin.
    Overall the badge is surprisingly solid for a zincer and there is quite a thickness of material compared to other Minesweepers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wilhelm Hobacher Kriegsabzeichen für Minesuch - Sicherungsverbände.   Wilhelm Hobacher Kriegsabzeichen für Minesuch - Sicherungsverbände.  

Wilhelm Hobacher Kriegsabzeichen für Minesuch - Sicherungsverbände.   Wilhelm Hobacher Kriegsabzeichen für Minesuch - Sicherungsverbände.  

Wilhelm Hobacher Kriegsabzeichen für Minesuch - Sicherungsverbände.   Wilhelm Hobacher Kriegsabzeichen für Minesuch - Sicherungsverbände.  

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wilhelm Hobacher Kriegsabzeichen für Minesuch - Sicherungsverbände.
    P
    Many

Default Re: Wilhelm Hobacher Kriegsabzeichen für Minesuch - Sicherungsverbände.

A nice start to the year Adrian, she is a beauty for sure

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Very nice catch Adrian!Congrats for this minesweeper in a very good condition.

Joachim

That is a very nice minesweeper. The quality is amazing it looks just great, awesome quality with copper over zinc it was made to last. Awesome you point out certain traits
    On the Wilhelm Hobacher badge

?

A good looking piece Adrian , a good start to the year !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

KSH
    ?

Excellent example indeed!

Hochachtungsvoll,

Kenneth S-H.

Nice Minesweeper Ade. It has the same shrinkage patterns on the reverse as SHuCo ISA's. Perhaps they used the same,or similar quality zinc? Just a thought. Stewy

A very nice example. This may be one of my new favorite makers.

?

Thanks for your comments guys!
    Stewy, yes the zinc shrinkage is very noticeable on this one. Of all the Hobacher Minesweepers I looked at, this one was the only badge I found with it on so maybe it could be a temperature or pressure issue on this particular badge or production run. Metallurgy isn't my strongest subject........!

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

SHuCo are Wein made,as are WH's i think. So,for me it's a reasonable assumption that the quality of metal should be similar. Hence the shrinkage (during cooling). Not all awards show this trait. Vienna style awards being most prevolent. Stewy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast