Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

'winterschlacht im osten' medal, genuine or not.

Article about: OK guys, thanks. Looks like another one for the trash can. I think I will give that auction house a wide berth with regard to Militaria from now on.

Default 'winterschlacht im osten' medal, genuine or not.

Hi,
    Bought this 'winterschlacht im osten' medal at auction and would like your opinion as to whether its genuine or not.
    Many Thanks
    Andytee
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 'winterschlacht im osten' medal, genuine or not.   'winterschlacht im osten' medal, genuine or not.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 'winterschlacht im osten' medal, genuine or not.
    P
    Many

Hi Andy, and welcome to the forum!

Note the finish and die flaws and rough edge. It is a fake.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Looks fine to me but I think someone might have given her a squirt of silver paint at some time, only the external ring and helmet should be silver.

Looks good to me too.

I see the rough edges as Ade points out but the details seem quite crisp, especially to the reverse lettering. A sideon view of the edge might reveal if there is a casting seam?

Thanks guys. To answer some of the points raised, There has obviously been another dark grey colour over the base metal at some stage which now appears to have worn away apart from the areas around the eagles head and feet where it is still quite noticeable. There is no casting seam around the edge and the lettering and detail are very crisp. I also have the original ribbon, perhaps I will add a photo of this and the medal edge, which may help solve the mystery.

It looks cast to me

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Some pics of the ribbon and medal edge. Does this help?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 'winterschlacht im osten' medal, genuine or not.   'winterschlacht im osten' medal, genuine or not.  

'winterschlacht im osten' medal, genuine or not.   'winterschlacht im osten' medal, genuine or not.  

I still think it is cast.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I still think it is cast.
    looks quite thin when viewed edge on too!..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast