Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

world war medals 1 or 2

Article about: I have a medal band that my grandfather acquired during his US service during WW2 but because of the dates on the medals I'm inclined to think it's from WW1. If anyone can tell me more about

Default world war medals 1 or 2

I have a medal band that my grandfather acquired during his US service during WW2 but because of the dates on the medals I'm inclined to think it's from WW1.
    If anyone can tell me more about these medals, ie. what they are called what they were awarded for are they German? etc... I would really appreciate it. Ultimately I am looking to sell them so how much they are worth would be some good info also. Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me.
    Attached Images Attached Images world war medals 1 or 2  world war medals 1 or 2  world war medals 1 or 2 
    Last edited by Melanie; 04-04-2011 at 08:08 PM. Reason: more pics

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement world war medals 1 or 2
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: world war medals 1 or 2

hi , from right first medal is the bavarian king ludwig cross 1916, second is the hindenburg cross without swords for non-combatants vetrans of ww1 , next is a police 25 year service medal, last award cant id need better pics . hope this is of some help ...cheers paul

Thank You Paul it definitely does help at least now i know what they are which will make researching them much easier. I also posted the only other pic i have of the last medal. again thank you!

Yes, they are German. This medal bar had belonged to a long-serving policeman in the Third-Reich period who also had some WW1-service behind the frontlines. From left to right:

König-Ludwig-Kreuz
    A Bavarian decoration instituted in 1916 for meritorious home-area service in support of the Bavarian state and army.
    See:
    König-Ludwig-Kreuz 1916
    Bayern König Ludwig-Kreuz - The OMSA Medal Database

Ehrenkreuz 1914/18 für Kriegsteilnehmer
    The 1914/18 Honor Cross was a German decoration instituted in 1934 for WW1. This is the class for war service not involving combat.
    See:
    Service Medals

Polizeidienstauszeichnung 2. Stufe
    This is the Police Long Service Award instituted in 1938 in its second grade for 18 years of Police service.
    See:
    Polizei-Dienstauszeichnung (1938)
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/order...crosses-14319/

A Bavarian Long-Service Award
    I am not 100% certain on the last one, as Imperial-era awards are not my strong point and the photo is rather blurred. It is certainly a Bavarian long service award; I think the one for the Landwehr. (Please compare the inscription on the medal's reverse to yours.)
    See:
    Landwehr-Dienstauszeichnung 2.Klasse 1913

I cannot help you with an estimate on value, though.
    Last edited by HPL2008; 04-04-2011 at 08:31 PM.

?

hi , cant make out the last medal , going by the ribbon it may be a bavarian service medal ,which one i cant tell !..someone here will id it i am sure...cheers paul

No idea on value, but I would personally pay $200 for the set.

feel free to contact me via email with any offers for the set at mcmanus.melanie@gmail.com

@HPL2008 Thank you! that was very helpful and you were right about the last one it was exactly what was in the link you posted ... now I'm fascinated and will be reading up on much more of this!

I'd say this set is worth at least $400. The Police Long Service
    Cross with it's embroidered ribbon is $300 to $350 alone.
    Regards,

Steve.