Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Would like opinions on this Deutsches Kreuz in Gold

Article about: Hi all. I was approached about this German Cross and while something about it doesn't sit right with me I feel compelled to get more opinions before dismissing it as a repro. Upon close insp

?

Default Would like opinions on this Deutsches Kreuz in Gold

Hi all.

I was approached about this German Cross and while something about it doesn't sit right with me I feel compelled to get more opinions before dismissing it as a repro. Upon close inspection it appears to me that the outer black sunburst may have been repainted? I think I see some overpaint on the silver background piece in some areas (although those may simply be tarnished areas). Maybe that's throwing me off. But also, the rivets on the back are larger than any other known examples I've seen where closed (solid) rivets are used. Lastly the date font is not like any other examples I've seen.

Having said all of that, there are a couple of other "tells" that are present on this one that are present on known originals. Those of you who know these awards will likely see them too. I'm torn!

Thoughts?

Thanks!
    Dzyner
    Last edited by rbminis; 05-03-2017 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Edited title to use the correct German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Would like opinions on this Deutsches Kreuz in Gold
    P
    Many

Hi Darren,

There are a lot of problems with this cross that indicate that it's a fake, although in my opinion a very old one compared to the usual types encountered regularly today.

Firstly, on the obverse side the red ring is clearly painted and not enamelled like wartime pieces, this is seen on 1957 crosses. Looking at the reverse, both the baseplates of the catch and hinge appear to be actually CAST IN to the backplate, and are not seperate entities soldered ONTO it. This is also something that can be found on '57 crosses as can be seen here:

The swastika appears to be a repro to me and not genuine, the uneven silver borders around the edge of it are seen on most fake versions, but not on originals. Finally, looking at the reverse side, the pin on your DK itself is not compatible with ANY known original wartime cross produced by the accepted manufacturers. Like wise, the large domed rivets are not compatible either with the rest of the cross, they would have been hollow. And the wreath and starburst that appear to be of the Zimmermann/Klein parts ARE NOT, although they are similar in appearance, and again DO NOT match any used in genuine wartime production by the accepted makers.

I believe what we are looking at here is a 1957 cross that has at some point, likely many years ago, that has had the EK replaced with a swastika and refitted with incorrect domed rivets whilst also having had a spurious replacement pin fitted. It's worth bearing in mind that 40 years ago, a '57 cross was worth nothing, but a genuine DK was, and that in my opinion is what we are looking at here, an old fake.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)