Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Yard Sale Find

Article about: Hello all, Like everyone I like obtain great items for bargain prices. I saw what looked to the backside of an EK1. When I pulled it out I had no idea what it was. I was thinking its some ob

Default Yard Sale Find

Hello all,
    Like everyone I like obtain great items for bargain prices. I saw what looked to the backside of an EK1. When I pulled it out I had no idea what it was. I was thinking its some obscure order during or before WW1. I paid very little for it. I also don't get to excited until I find out what these things are.
    Came home fired up the internets and found out it was a Danzig Cross. #1 a new award that I had never seen #2 its probably fake
    I didn't have to look around to much to figure out it was a repro.
    I am just happy that I was able to pick out the only military related item there,
    NK
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Yard Sale Find   Yard Sale Find  

Yard Sale Find   Yard Sale Find  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Yard Sale Find
    P
    Many

Hi there,

Only 88 of these 1st class awards were presented so if real it's mega rare. Reading this though, I feel pretty certain it's a repro:

Ailsby Collection: Danzig Cross - First Class.

Note the postwar S&L catch.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I am 99% sure its repro. From everything I have looked at. The badge us pretty well built. But way far from actual original examples. this could fool much less advanced collectors who don't have access to a resource like our forum.
    Thanks Ned

?

Hello,
    I also agree that the badge is a fake. I have seen several of these awards in person and I even saw the example in Mr. Ailsby's collection when I visited him in 2000. The Danzig Cross is a very well made item with beautiful enamel. I actually saw my 1st Danzig Cross when I was 9 years old (I have wanted one ever since).

Regards,
    Jody

Below are original examples in both 2nd and 1st class (as well as the case). I love the 2nd class on the frack bar.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Yard Sale Find   Yard Sale Find  

Any story behind the Meybauer cross?

cheers

Matt

?

Hello,
    None that I know of.

Jody

Too bad. Wonderfully executed variant. Perhaps a prototype. It certainly has the look of a period manufactured cross. One I would love to find.
    Thanks for sharing.

cheers

Matt