Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Award Booklet - Order of Alexander Nevesky - Major Penal Company

Article about: I recently purchased an award booklet which showed the issue of an Order of Alexander Nevesky. The awardee was a Major in the 227th Independent Penal Company. The following attachments show

Default Award Booklet - Order of Alexander Nevesky - Major Penal Company

I recently purchased an award booklet which showed the issue of an Order of Alexander Nevesky. The awardee was a Major in the 227th Independent Penal Company. The following attachments show what the award was for. I wonder where the medal is ??? For the record, I would like to acknowledge the assistance of Bill Garvy and once again the author Paul Schmidt, who over a period of several years has always produced excellent translation work on my behalf...paid for of course! Thanks guys!!!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alexno1.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	505366   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alexno2.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	349.6 KB 
ID:	505367  

Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Default Re: Award Booklet - Order of Alexander Nevesky - Major Penal Company

Award Sheet

1. Last name, name, and patrionymic: Kozlov, Grigorii Semenovich
    2. Rank: Major
    3. Duty position: Commander – 227 Independent Penal Company
    Recommendation for the Order of Alexander Nevsky
    4. Born: 1913
    5. Nationality: Russian
    6. Party membership: candidate member
    7. Previous combat: against the Basmachi in 1932 and 1934, in Patriotic War since February 1943
    8. Wounds or shell-shock: n/a
    9. In Red Army: since 1932
    10. Inducted by:
    11. Previous awards: n/a
    12. Home of record: [trans: entry intentionally obscured]
    Short description of personal combat feat or accomplishment
    During offensive fighting 13-22 October 1944 he proved himself a tactically proficient and strong-willed commander. While among the fighting formations he has well organized combat operations. All missions assigned to the company have been well executed.
    He capably and exactingly organized reconnaissance of the enemy’s front line. An assigned reconnaissance group seized two telephone devices and machinegun, returning to the company without losses. Occupying a road and railroad node near P. Lais on 18, 20, and 21 October the company repelled six enemy counterattacks by numerically superior, enemy tank and infantry forces, destroying the enemy and holding the occupied position.
    Kozlov’s fearless, personal example motivated the company’s transient personnel to steadfastness and valor. All the company’s officers and sixteen penal soldiers were awarded State decorations for valor and bravery.
    He is deserving of the Order of Alexander Nevsky.
    Signed Army Chief of Accountability and Manning Colonel Raevskii on 27 November 1944

Unit Award Order
    SECRET
    [trans: stamped “2 Belorussian Front”]
    2 Belorussian Front, 70 Army Order 0229/N dated 30 November 1944
    On behalf of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet USSR, I award the following decorations for exemplary accomplishment of the Command’s missions in the struggle against the German invaders and for having displayed valor and bravery:
    The Order of Alexander Nevsky to:
    1. Major Grigorii Semenovich Kozlov – Commander, 227 Independent Penal Company
    [trans: remainder of Award Order omitted]

Default Re: Award Booklet - Order of Alexander Nevesky - Major Penal Company

These are my preliminary observations as we discussed in previous correspondence. I would like to share them with our esteemed forum colleagues. This information was gleaned from podvignaroda.

Major Grigory Semenovich Kozlov, was born 1913, and was awarded two Orders of the Red Star as a Captain, the first. per the date on the citation. as January 2nd, 1944 and second. per the date on the citation. as January 25th, 1945. He was previously awarded a Badge of Honor as an Artillery Lieutenant (?) in March, 1942, and the above highlighted Order of Alexander Nevsky as a Major in November, 1944. He was finally awarded an Order of the Patriotic War, 2nd Class, 1985 Jubilee Issue, on April 6th, 1985.

I am puzzled that none of these awards, except the Nevsky and the 1985 awarded Order of the Patriotic War in 2nd Class, which would have its own Order Book, are listed in the Order Book you have shown.

I would also expect his name to be displayed differently, e.g. as Kozol, on the first line, Grigory on the middle line, and Semenovich on the bottom line. Instead it appears to be Grigory on the first line, Semenovich on the middle line, and Kozol on the bottom line. I would be interested to see his Award Card.

These are neither judgements nor pronouncements, merely preliminary observations.
    Last edited by Bill Garvy; 04-28-2013 at 11:04 PM.