Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Berlin capture medal is here

Article about: I wanted to thank Marcel Banzinger for his help in recommending this first variation medal. I believe that the medal is not difficult to obtain nor has it been made with precious metals. I k

Default Berlin capture medal is here

I wanted to thank Marcel Banzinger for his help in recommending this first variation medal.

I believe that the medal is not difficult to obtain nor has it been made with precious metals. I knew something about the Battle of Berlin because I had read Antony Beevor's book about that battle, and since I visited Berlin last year, I became interested in this medal. Now it seems somewhat distant in an essentially peaceful city...

As commented by Marcel Banzinger, perhaps the most interesting is the Certificate that comes with the medal and was awarded to a colonel or lieutenant colonel named Mikhail Alexandrovich Gusev who served in the 67th Independant Guards Heavy Tank Brigade who participated in the conquest of Berlin at the end of World War II.

In this case, I have tried to find out the details of the aforementioned Tank Brigade. I do not know if I have done right or wrong. Basically, I have tried to obtain data by translating the words into Russian, and then, by researching Russian web pages. Not having the fortune to know the Russian language, it has been difficult, and it is possible that the data indicated are not correct.

If I have done well, I believe that Mr. Gusev was born in 1917, and was awarded the Order of the Red Flag for actions on 04/14/1945 related to the crossing of the Oder River and the rupture of the German defenses, and ultimately, the final opening of routes to Berlin.

The story of the 67th Independant Guards Heavy Tank Brigade is told here: 67-я гвардейская тяжелая танковая бригада в Берлинской операции

and here: 67-я гвардейская танковая бригада

According to the website tankfront.ru, this 67th Brigade had the Order of the Red Flag, which had received inherited from the 29th Tank Brigade, and then, after the creation of the 67th Brigade, on 12/02/1945, also receives the Order of Suvorov grade II. With regard to the Battle of Berlin, the 67th Brigade is integrated into the fifth army, the first Belorussian Front, whose military chief would be Marshal Zhukov.

I believe that the Soviet state granted this prize for deeds that implied direct danger to the life of the soldier. I find it hard to see a tank in urban combat at this time, it seems necessary to crush defenses and if necessary, even buildings, or cross walls, but at the same time, I find vulnerable to ambushes, attacks with Panzer-faust, grenades, etc. , and with terrible consequences for the crew. I imagine that in many German towns and cities there are cemeteries of Soviet soldiers and memorials. I could two in Berlin and Potsdam.

I have been surprised by the infrastructure problems of the military Units for the battle, in this case of the 67th Brigade. According to tankfront.ru, as of 03/20/1945 the uniforms are dirty, the personnel does not wash for several days and they do not he shaves. However, I think also referred to discipline problems because it speaks of vandalism against German civilians.

The head of the 67th Brigade was Lieutenant Colonel Piotr Alexandrovich Gusev. It is possible that there is a familiar relationship between him and Mikhail Alexandrovich Gusev.

The commander of the Brigade would be Colonel Iosif Davydovich BACHAKASHVILI, born in Georgia in 1911, who is also the one who seems to sign the Certificate that was given to Mikhail Alexandrovich Gusev, on November 6, 1945. On some webpage I have seen that it is indicated that on May 4, 1945 Bachakashvili received the decoration of Hero of the Soviet Union, but in other pages it is not indicated. I think that the Certificate does not appear as a hero of the Soviet Union, although there is not much space to write everything. In fact, on podvignaroda page, I think I understand that it does confirm that he was graced as Hero of the Soviet Union.

Thank you for your comments and help.

I forgot something yesterday. Here is the list of awards given to to Mikhail Alexandrovich Gusev

And the list of awards of Hero of the Soviet Union Iosif Davydovich BACHAKASHVILI

Last edited by Agapito; 05-20-2019 at 03:03 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Berlin capture medal is here
    P
    Many

Fascinating research indeed and what a lovely example to have - particularly with the paprwork. From what I understand, the 67th Brigade was attached to the 5th Shock Army during the final assault of Berlin.

Really nice certificate and well done on the research. Congrats on this set!

?

Thank you very much for sharing!!!!

This is GUSEV's signature on the document from 22 April 1945.
    It specifies, that the 67 tank brigade is under operative control of 89 Guards rifle division , and is to advance towards Ostbahnhof and then later towards Reichstag along the Spree bank.