Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Combat services and hanger/nut?

Article about: Here is a fairly early combat services medal. The medal is in a pretty good state of preservation given its fairly low number, even the enamel is mostly intact. The connecting ring isn't 'cu

?

Default Combat services and hanger/nut?

Here is a fairly early combat services medal. The medal is in a pretty good state of preservation given its fairly low number, even the enamel is mostly intact.
    The connecting ring isn't 'cut' but it does look like the solder is broken? That is, no one sniped it but it isn't fully intact.

Further the nut on the back looks good, it isn't a cast copy, its a legit nut but beyond that i don't know. The ribbon is clearly new and held on by hot glue on the back? The post has almost no wear at the end. So is the hanger a reproduction or good? again, the nut and medal itself are good, but don't know about the rest. thoughts?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Combat services and hanger/nut?   Combat services and hanger/nut?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Combat services and hanger/nut?
    P
    Many

?

Some more pictures of the back
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Combat services and hanger/nut?   Combat services and hanger/nut?  

Very nice early medal! About your concerns about the hanger, it is tough to see (very dark pics) and in hands it should be easier to see I guess. However, since the medal itself is in such good condition it is no surprise to me that the hanger is also in good condition. Would be an interesting one to get researched. Perhaps that even will explain why it is in such good condition.

Edit: could the rectangular plate be a replacement because it looks less high and with more rounded edges than others I have seen. Perhaps this is just coincidence and doesn't mean anything but it is at least worth checking?

?

In my opinion, the whole hanging device is a copy. Not an original one , that came with the medal.

?

Quote by Egorka View Post
    In my opinion, the whole hanging device is a copy. Not an original one , that came with the medal.
    Including the nut>? The nut seems legit in hand. I collect mostly guards badges and the nut seems okay, but if the rest is bad, why would the nut be good?
    Thanks for the response.....I have no others to compare.
    also what what concerns you?

Is it perhaps possible to make pics in daylight, pics that are less dark? To me it still could be an original hanger though with replaced backplate (and new ribbon obviously) but the pics are just a bit too dark with shadows. I've checked many pics since yesterday and all that I have seen were with rectangular edges and none rounded off, plus all were also a bit higher. When this was replaced no one knows. Could've even be done by the awardee. Who knows.
    Here's mine for example, with rectangular edges of the backplate:

Edit: another observation and I hope you guys can comment on this. The end of the screwpin doesn't look like any of the wartime made screwpins but instead like a modern machine made one. Older ones have rounded off tips, often not accurately made. This one is like a modern screwpin to me and I even took one from my garage to compare. So this observation would lead into Igor being correct. What do you think?
    Here's from my same early War Merit medal:

?

I think that yours has been modified by the recipient to shorten it a bit and taper it.
    (croppped picture from a VERY reputable seller, here is a similar one on a bravery medal.....)
    Attached Images Attached Images Combat services and hanger/nut? 

?

The nut is also very consistent....with its funny two tone (the brassy color is tarnish? or coating?)
    I think the nut is correct, but the rest of the hanger I do not know, but the flat screw post isn't a flag for me necessarily.
    (picture below also from Very reputable sellers website, he has GREAT stuff).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Combat services and hanger/nut?  

?

Also here is a combat services from the same reputable seller, with a very similar (and somewhat crude) looking hanger, smaller pad and the tooling marks on the back of the nut are present on my example too. Smaller flat fitting with rounded corners.
    Again, I'm not saying it is or is not legit, but I'm not experienced enough to see the areas of concern....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Combat services and hanger/nut?  

?

Look at shape ends of the slit in the hanger. Your medal has different shape, which is not very consistent with the press cutting process.
    The other parts differ too.
    The nut letters (especially two “O”) are also different.
    All this is IMHO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast