Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Commom ODM Displayed in Shadow Boxes

Article about: I was pretty pleased with the way these shadow boxes came out. They are inexpensive boxes purchased in a crafts store. They are ready made and have velcro-type loop fabric applied to the ins

SGM (ret.)
    ?

Default Commom ODM Displayed in Shadow Boxes

I was pretty pleased with the way these shadow boxes came out.

They are inexpensive boxes purchased in a crafts store. They are ready made and have velcro-type loop fabric applied to the inside of the backer board. They also come with a strip of velcro-type hook tape that has a "peel and stick" glue on its reverse.

I used black ribbon with small pieces of the velcro hook tape which was folded back over on itself. I then fastened the fold using a stapler.

This created a velcro hook tab with a folded loop that I could pass the medal's ribbon pin through. This velcro tab was then stuck to the loop fabric backer boards.

So far, the velcro tabs have been strong enough to hold the medals with no problems. There is no adheasive or other objectionable changes that need to be made to the medals, preserving them in their present state.

The screw-back orders were mounted through small holes bored through the backer and held with their screw-backs from the outside, reverse of the shadow box.

I've included a few snap shots showing how I did this, and hope someone else might find this information useful.

Mike
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Commom ODM Displayed in Shadow Boxes   Commom ODM Displayed in Shadow Boxes  

Commom ODM Displayed in Shadow Boxes   Commom ODM Displayed in Shadow Boxes  

Commom ODM Displayed in Shadow Boxes   Commom ODM Displayed in Shadow Boxes  

2. # ADS

Default Re: Commom ODM Displayed in Shadow Boxes

Mike!

I, for one, congratulate you an a very constructive and detailed posting.

I own many medals and badges that will not make it into my uniform displays that I would like to mount and display. Certainly because they would be forgotten about being stored inside some dark box within my closets or attic strorage spaces.

I'll will certainly consider all your suggestive points and show all the results in the future to you and our other forum associates when the time presents itself...

SGM (ret.)
    ?

Thank you, Richie.

I have quite a few more that haven't been mounted for display, some of which will go on the M43 that I have yet to add to my collection. Some others I have award documents for, and those will be mounted for display with the documents.

Your advice and assistance has been very welcome ever since I began to delve into Soviet WWII uniforms and accessories. I'm glad to return even a little bit of the favor.

Mike

NcPaint
    ?

I know this is an old post but.....very nice display If someone has similar displays can you please post pics so I can see how they are displayed, and how the box was built. ( yes I am stealing your ideas, but they are good soooo....) Also, what is the best way to protect yet display armbands and bayonets?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.