Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

A Couple of Soviet Medal Groups, Combat Merit and Konigsberg

Article about: Hi all. Not picked much up for a while but came across these Soviet medal groups. I don't know much about these (apart from what they are) so any comments are welcome. From what I have read

Default A Couple of Soviet Medal Groups, Combat Merit and Konigsberg

Hi all. Not picked much up for a while but came across these Soviet medal groups. I don't know much about these (apart from what they are) so any comments are welcome. From what I have read they seem to be OK. Many thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A Couple of Soviet Medal Groups, Combat Merit and Konigsberg   A Couple of Soviet Medal Groups, Combat Merit and Konigsberg  

A Couple of Soviet Medal Groups, Combat Merit and Konigsberg   A Couple of Soviet Medal Groups, Combat Merit and Konigsberg  

A Couple of Soviet Medal Groups, Combat Merit and Konigsberg   A Couple of Soviet Medal Groups, Combat Merit and Konigsberg  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A Couple of Soviet Medal Groups, Combat Merit and Konigsberg
    P
    Many

All look like good medals but if these groupings belong together or when they were put together is unknown. Could be done just recently by the looks of them. Many of these are made from parts and combined into grouping and sold on E-bay. Happens all the time. So value-wise there is no higher value because of being a grouping. Just count value by the individual medals.

Thanks Marcel. I picked these up while travelling in Easter Europe from different locations. I see what you mean though about groups being cobbled together, I suppose it is a bit of a leap of faith. I believe the numbered Combat Merit could be researched though?

Yes, that one can be researched. Get in touch with Auke (Auke de Vlieger ). His research and service is excellent!

?

The combat services medal is a pretty low number......could be interesting.
    The Koenigsberg is also a type 1, less common than later types.

Quote by B618aa View Post
    The combat services medal is a pretty low number......could be interesting.
    The Koenigsberg is also a type 1, less common than later types.
    That's good to know. Thank you.

?

Yes,interesting combat service medal, just keep in mind that many of them have been awarded for long service.

You can find the serial number range of "true" vs long service award by looking to Auke's web site.

?

Quote by Meme32 View Post
    Yes,interesting combat service medal, just keep in mind that many of them have been awarded for long service.

You can find the serial number range of "true" vs long service award by looking to Auke's web site.
    Given how low the number is, it is very unlikely it is a long service medal. Here are the closest two I have in my list
    285,932 15.5.43 49 Army, Mechanic
    291,508 17.5.43 330 Rifle Division, 1113 Rifle Regiment

So yours is likely (but not certainly) early-mid 1943, it is also likely that when awarded it was presented on a square mount with a red ribbon (then the regs changed). If you didn't pay much, this one alone is interesting.

I think all these medals go together.

It is likely, given the other medals, that the second unnumbered combat services is a long-service medal, but 1) don't know if the medals go together for sure 2) you won't ever know 100% if this unnumbered medal is the original if you can determine that a long service was granted. but again, there is a medal there for 20 years service, if the unnumbered combat services is for 10 years it would have had to be 10 years on or before 1957. Where is the 15 years service? This COULD have been a red-star if the 15 years was complete before 1957, and thus the bar may in fact be complete. We know they were in the army in mid-43 (or so the first combat services suggests) so it is indeed possible they hit 15 years before 1957, so the bar is complete (as the red-star would not be on the bar!) if you research the combat services you will also find out if there is a missing red-star.

?

So again, interestingly, I think the two bars are in a combined proper order of precedence are they not? So in theory they could be all for the same person with the combat services the first bar and the one that starts with the Koenigsberg the continuation of his/her awards.

Here again, if you are at all interested (and not purely in monetary value as it probably won't pay) I'd research the combat services, identify the individual and then you might be able to determine if the units he/she were in could have gotten the moscow and koenigsberg medals (they could even be listed in the awards card)....it is certainly possible for these two to go together.

In other words, group, not groups?

Note, the red star you posted in another thread is likely long service, but seems WAY too early?
    In otherwords IF (and this is a big if) the red-star you got goes with these there is a big inconsistency between the un-numbered combat services, the 20 years service not a red banner and the date of awarding of the red star (again if it is for long service). not that weird things didn't happen. What I will say is if you got these all in the same batch, I'd keep them together until I know more.
    Last edited by B618aa; 12-05-2018 at 07:07 PM.

?

Quote by Marcel Banziger View Post
    All look like good medals but if these groupings belong together ........
    and here I had thought I had discovered something new, that they may all be one group! Sorry Marcel, you were way ahead of me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast