Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Defense of Stalingrad Medal and Certificate

Article about: Hi guys, With the advice of Bill Garvy (Thanks!) I picked up this set today. I can't make out the middle name, but it looks like it was awarded to a Petr Komenko on April 15th, 1943. Can any

Default Defense of Stalingrad Medal and Certificate

Hi guys,

With the advice of Bill Garvy (Thanks!) I picked up this set today. I can't make out the middle name, but it looks like it was awarded to a Petr Komenko on April 15th, 1943.

Can anyone translate the rest of the Russian for me? Also, is it possible to find the awards sheet, etc. for this guy?

Enjoy,
    Mo
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Defense of Stalingrad Medal and Certificate   Defense of Stalingrad Medal and Certificate  

Defense of Stalingrad Medal and Certificate   Defense of Stalingrad Medal and Certificate  

Defense of Stalingrad Medal and Certificate   Defense of Stalingrad Medal and Certificate  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Defense of Stalingrad Medal and Certificate
    P
    Many

Nice one, Mo!

?

His name is Pyotr Stepanovich Khomenko. He was a Guards Private. Unfortunately he has a common name, so without any other details (award serial numbers, year and place of birth, etc.) it's impossible to find out more about this soldier. I checked the citation database, and there were at least four individuals with this exact name; two of them were Privates.

Quote by Auke View Post
    His name is Pyotr Stepanovich Khomenko. He was a Guards Private. Unfortunately he has a common name, so without any other details (award serial numbers, year and place of birth, etc.) it's impossible to find out more about this soldier. I checked the citation database, and there were at least four individuals with this exact name; two of them were Privates.
    Thanks! ***** to hear I will probably never know anything else about him. Sometimes the luck just isn't there, I guess...

The original poster hasn't come on since last fall, if someone knows him point him here.

This post came up at the bottom of the screen when we were discussing someone's Stalingrad document today. I had to look at it.
    I know it is almost 7 years old but folks should revisit these conclusions over time as more information is put up.
    I highly suspect this is your guy....he ended as a Sargent and the name isn't all that common really, plus look at the unit seal on the document.
    I think it is 10-я гвардейская механизированная бригада (бригады) of the 5-й гвардейский механизированный корпус. Then only this guy matches and he also won a bravery medal during the time in question, seems like it is him.

Also at this time this group (person) was on the southern front against Manstein and 'Winter Thunderstorm' to relieve Stalingrad. For their actions 6th Mechanized got the Guards name and became 5th guards mechanized corps.....

Also his brigade had honorifics " 10-я гвардейская механизированная Пражская ордена Кутузова бригада" 10th Guards Mechanized Prague Order of the Kutuzov Brigade

And actually I've included a map for this period below too. Note in the map they are labeled 6mk THEN ALSO 5 guards MK later (after the honorific guards) showing their location Feb 7th, while the map title has their updated 5 guards mk...so here is the map corresponding to his medal too!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Defense of Stalingrad Medal and Certificate   Defense of Stalingrad Medal and Certificate  

Defense of Stalingrad Medal and Certificate  
    Last edited by meyerse; 03-31-2020 at 03:25 AM.