Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Favorite soviet medal bar pickup 2012

Article about: I thought I would post one my favorite medal bar pickup of 2012. OG3 awarded to Red army man Dmitriy Vasilievich Bakumenko, 911 Artillery regt, 340th rifle div, 1st Ukranian front on 23/02/1

Default Favorite soviet medal bar pickup 2012

I thought I would post one my favorite medal bar pickup of 2012.

OG3 awarded to Red army man Dmitriy Vasilievich Bakumenko, 911 Artillery regt, 340th rifle div, 1st Ukranian front on 23/02/1945 for actions between 9 and 12 Feb 1945 for deploying gun to battle position despite enemy bombardment near Yasenitse village, leading horses to blockhouse and then helping break up a charge and when enemy came to grips comrade Bakumenko himself killed 7 enemy soldiers and helped to dominate an objective.

340th Rif div was established at Balashkov in Sept 1941 as part of Voronezh front fighting at Moscow, Kharkov, Korsun and the Carpathians, It was involved in defensive operations on the approaches to Stalingrad and in Dec 1942 Operation Saturn, where it destroyed Hungarian 2nd army. Thereafter it was involved in Op Zvezda including 3rd battle of Kharkov. The Voronezh front again saw action in Aug 43 where during the battle of Kursk it operated on the southern shoulder.

On 20 Oct 1943 Voronezh front was renamed 1st Ukranian front. In 1944 it saw action at the battles of Korsun Shevchenkivskyy, Battle of Hube's pocket, Lviv Sandomierz offensive and battle for Ternopil.

Between 12 Jan and 2 Feb 1945 it took part in Vistula - Oder offensive also participating in the Halbe encirclement finally participating in defence against Army group Wenck in the last days of the battle of Berlin.

Last edited by robin morley; 12-31-2012 at 06:41 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Favorite soviet medal bar pickup 2012
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Favorite soviet medal bar pickup 2012

My favorite one from this year, four decorations awarded to Guards Private First Class Vasily Ivanovich Sokolov, a scout in the 61st Guards Tank Brigade. A Red Star, Victory over Germany Medal, and Liberation of Prague Medal are missing.

MC awarded on April 2, 1944. In March 1944 his squad was the first to engage the enemy, killing 15 soldiers and officers and capturing 35. A day later his squad repelled four counterattacks by enemy tanks and infantry. One day later 7 Tiger tanks and 40 enemy soldiers approached, which his squad let pass through. They cut them off from their main forces and killed the soldiers, which limited the possibilities of the tanks. Later that day Sokolov and a few other soldiers destroyed a staff car, killed the officers in it, and captured valuable documents.

OG3 awarded on September 17, 1944. In July 1944 he crawled toward the enemy trenches, threw a number of grenades, killed 2 two Germans, and captured valuable documents. Later that month he saved a wounded motorcyclist and the body of his killed platoon leader. He killed 6 Germans. On August 1 he discovered a concentration of enemy troops and tanks, killed 2 German soldiers, and informed the staff about the enemy forces, which enabled his unit to beat off an enemy counterattack without any losses.

OG2 awarded on April 2, 1945. In January 1945 he discovered 15 enemy tanks preparing for a counterattack. He quickly informed the staff, as a result of which the attack was repelled; the enemy lost 12 tanks and a large number of soldiers. A few days later his squad killed 32 soldiers and captured 10. A week later they killed another 30 and captured 10.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Favorite soviet medal bar pickup 2012   Favorite soviet medal bar pickup 2012  

Very nice bar Auke with great character

?

Auke, Awesome bar! I love the wear and tear, and especially the home-made or theatre-made suspension. Truly one of a kind.

Of the medal bars I was fortunate enough to add to the collection in 2012 I would have to say this one would be my favorite. This medal bar belonged to Mikhail Maksimovich Porokhnya, a flight surgeon and is comprised of his Combat Service Medal, #93587, an unnumbered Combat Service Medal, Defense of Leningrad, Defense of Stalingrad, and a Defense of the Caucasus medals. The Order Book documents the Combat Service Medals, and two Orders of the Red Star, #1132105 & #3168742, both of which are sadly missing from the group. . .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Favorite soviet medal bar pickup 2012   Favorite soviet medal bar pickup 2012  

Favorite soviet medal bar pickup 2012   Favorite soviet medal bar pickup 2012  

Very nice set Bill, always a pity when orders/medals are missing. There is a bravery medal missing from my group which was awarded in 1944, would be great to re-unite it but the chances of it still being around and then finding it are slim.

Hi,
    Here's mine for the year 2012. set with all documents and medals to
    Colonel CHERNOV - political commissar.
    Medal for bravery was awarded in 1942
    I started research on Podvignaroda.
    Regards.
    Philippe