Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help Needed With a "For Courage" medal

Article about: Hey Guys! Newbie here. I have this "for courage" medal (With a tank and planes on it, you know) and I'm really interested in the serial number on the reverse side. What does it mea

?

Default Help Needed With a "For Courage" medal

Hey Guys!

Newbie here. I have this "for courage" medal (With a tank and planes on it, you know) and I'm really interested in the serial number on the reverse side. What does it mean? the number is 2987078

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help Needed With a "For Courage" medal
    P
    Many

Default Re: Help Needed With a "For Courage" medal

Any chance of posting a photo please.

The number is the issue number or serial numer

Established 17 October 1938. Also known as the "Medal for Courage", "Medal for Valor" and "Medal for Gallantry". Considered the most highly respected Soviet military medal, it was awarded to personnel of all ranks in the Army, Navy, Border Troops and Ministry of Internal Affairs troops for personal bravery in a theater of operations; in defense of USSR borders; for performance of a soldier's duty in life-risking situations; and for activities against spies and subversive elements. Citizens as well as foreigners were also eligible for this award. This award could be received more than once. It is made of silver. Approximately 4,600,000 were issued.

?

sorry guys, no camera available for now (( It's essentially like the one Totenhead just posted, only older looking. so what does this "issue number mean"? Does it have a chronological meaning? Is mine "high" or "low"? Please elaborate if you can guys.

Deekay

The number is the serial number of the medal, and is a reference to whom it was issued to, the number would be written in the award booklet, see my picture

I think, I am not certain but only 2.5 million of these were issued during WW2, the rest of them post war. Yours is 2987078 out of a total 4,600,000, so yours is mid to high

?

Thanks man! really Appreciate your help!

?

Just the last question: so approximately when should I date my medal? 1943? 1945? or later?

I would say post war but I could be wrong

?

I happen to have #2987056 in my collection, which was awarded on November 6, 1947 to a Georgian national for wounds received during the war. Since that was a huge Decree, chances are that yours was awarded to a Georgian veteran by the same Decree for the same reason.

?

Quote by Auke View Post
    I happen to have #2987056 in my collection, which was awarded on November 6, 1947 to a Georgian national for wounds received during the war. Since that was a huge Decree, chances are that yours was awarded to a Georgian veteran by the same Decree for the same reason.

Thanks man! Actually I live in Georgia and this medal belonged to my friend's grandpa. She gave it to me, but she didn't say a word about how he got it. I think that your guess is pretty spot on. Too bad that it's post-war though.

Anyways, thanks everyone for Helping me out!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast