Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Investing in Soviet medals - weighing pro's & cons.

Article about: The whole issue of "investment" is complex and fraught with danger, especially in the current economic climate. Many (both in and out of Russia) have tried, in recent years, to tur

?

Default Investing in Soviet medals - weighing pro's & cons.

Hello there, would it be fair to say that Soviet medals and awards represent a sound investment opportunity in the current climate?
    I'm aware that this question is rather broad and there are many caveats attached to it.
    I'm mulling over, for example, a platinum coin from the Royal Mint on the one hand and maybe an Order of the Red Banner type 2 variation 2 and undertaking the research myself.
    One investment is safe and sound and comes in a box, my wifes choice, the other would be a marvelous project yet be a step into the relative unknown, my choice.
    Any thoughts you gentlemen have on this matter and would like to share with me would be most gratefully appreciated.
    Regards.
    Mike

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Investing in Soviet medals - weighing pro's & cons.
    P
    Many

Default Re: Investing in Soviet medals - weighing pro's & cons.

"Ask your woman opinion and do on the contrary"

Hi Mike, speaking personally I would never buy militaria as an investment. OK, it is a nice thought to think that an item has risen in value, but my problem is I never sell anything and will die owning it all anyway. Things are only worth something in my eyes if you ever come to sell them. I buy purely for my own enjoyment and the history behind the object.

Looking at your situation, I would go for the Order of the Red Banner. Reason being I am certain it will give you many months or indeed years of pleasure owning it and a big thrill doing the research. Finding out who won the award will be a really satisfying experience. What price can you put on that?

The coin would leave me totally cold. No history and just a modern thing made for "investor collectors".

Cheers, Ade.

?

Ahh, I should have pointed out that the money is hers...

Hi Mike, now that puts a different complexion on things

Cheers, Ade.

?

I'm with you on everything there Ade, apart from the thought that I would be prepared to part from the investment. I would most likely only ever be a temporary custodian of any award or medal.
    The enjoyment of the research is a huge drawcard for me, the other coinage doesn't offer anything aside from safety.

I watched the progress of the Sixbid auction recently and saw that most items realized more than their estimates. I found this encouraging.

I've been driven at the moment by a pair of nearly identical Order of Glory medals on a well known site, one has researched provenance the other not, the difference is $1000.

Food for thought eh?

?

I think, it's a good idea, but wait a bit, the market for militaria is too quite at the moment, and that is a good possibility to catch a nice item!
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Hi Koba64

I thought of this myself many times. Personally if you are buying for investment reasons I would go for orders of the Red Star and orders of the Great Patriotic War. They look great and are very collectable...

Greetz

Nick VR

?

Personally I like the Red Banner and Lenin orders, I remember the time when the first was at the price of 10 usd and lenin 80-100 USD. I prefer screwbacks orders but it's hard to get now, most awesome for me the orders from German veterans, due of full of history and 100% SEEN BATTLE PIECES.
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Thumbs up Re: Investing in Soviet medals - weighing pro's & cons.

Hi Dimas

Quote by Dimas View Post
    most awesome for me the orders from German veterans, due of full of history and 100% SEEN BATTLE PIECES.
    I agree, this is one of the reasons I focus on German combat awards, most of them have seen the front...

Greetz

Nick VR

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast