Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Medal for Bravery

Article about: What are your thoughts on this medal? I'm thinking that the hanger was replaced post war, the number is in the low 3 mil, would that place it as a wartime award? Thank you for your help. Pau

Default Medal for Bravery

What are your thoughts on this medal? I'm thinking that the hanger was replaced post war, the number is in the low 3 mil, would that place it as a wartime award? Thank you for your help.
    Paul

Medal for BraveryMedal for BraveryMedal for BraveryMedal for Bravery

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Medal for Bravery
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Medal for Bravery

The medal is original and wartime (probably a spring 1945 award). The suspension seems to be original too (and it seems that the silver connecting link is still soldered closed), but the ribbon was most likely replaced at a later date.

Thank you very much for your help. Now I know where to look to see if the hanger was replaced, I didn't know about the solder, I thought it was the ring. I'm off to put in a bid. Thank you again.
    Paul

?

The ring is always a useful thing to check. When the suspension was replaced they usually cut open the ring, but never bothered to resolder it

?

Hello
    Auke sorry to ask but the Serial Number isn't it little big (over 3 millions) to be awarded during wartime ?

?

No, practically all numbered BMs were awarded during the war. A handful of numbered BMs were awarded for wounds in 1947, but other than that they are all wartime awards.

?

Quote by Auke View Post
    No, practically all numbered BMs were awarded during the war

That is not correct.
    Numbers up to circa 2 500 000 are the latest that may belong to 2WW era - bigger numbers (3 000 000 for sure) belongs to postwar time.

This particular medal with number above 3 000 000 has to be from somewhen at the end of 40-ties.

And generally it is hard to say, when exactly Soviets lost the number system for this medal - most probably somewhen between 40/50-ties.

?

For the wartime period was more than 4 300 000 men awarded with this medal, numbers on them was discontiued by Paragraph 8 of the order #176 by Secretariat of Presidium of the Headquarter of USSR issued in January. 30th, 1947 " all the medals of the USSR, made in future, with the exeption of Medal of the Hero of USSR and Hero of the Labour of USSR- will be made without numbers"

Source:
    Medal for Bravery
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

?

My point was that only about 2,5 million men were awarded with this medal before the end of war - this applies to the numbers backside the medals as well.

Bigger numbers belongs to the medals that were handed over after the war (doesn´t matter for what) - for wartime heroism or killing the national partisans in Baltics for example...

?

I was talking about when they were awarded, i.e. the official (administrative) act of conferring the award - issuing (giving) them is something entirely different. Practically all serial numbered medals were awarded during the war, but of course many were issued shortly afterwards.