Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Medal for the Defense of Stalingrad - Ribbon a Replacement?

Article about: I've had this medal for pretty long and I was just playing with it in my hands, then I noticed that the ribbon is adjusted in a wrong way, with the left side overlapping the right one. The m

Default Medal for the Defense of Stalingrad - Ribbon a Replacement?

I've had this medal for pretty long and I was just playing with it in my hands, then I noticed that the ribbon is adjusted in a wrong way, with the left side overlapping the right one. The medal seems like variation 1, with the ring being soldered into the the medal and the suspension mount also is first variation. Is the ribbon most likely replaced?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Medal for the Defense of Stalingrad  - Ribbon a Replacement?   Medal for the Defense of Stalingrad  - Ribbon a Replacement?  

Medal for the Defense of Stalingrad  - Ribbon a Replacement?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Medal for the Defense of Stalingrad  - Ribbon a Replacement?
    P
    Many

?

The ribbon would not have been issued like this, so although it may be original in itself, it has been reattached at some point.

That's what I suspected, but I wanted to hear from the pro's . Thank you Auke!

Dom
    ?

This Starchyï leïtenant cumulates several gap, ribbon upside and pocketless Gymnasterka

Medal for the Defense of Stalingrad  - Ribbon a Replacement?

Thank you for sharing this photo Dom , very peculiar indeed. I have this photo on my HDD, but I've never noticed that.

I know this thread is a million years old, but thought I would add a few more pics of reversed medal ribbons for reference.

- - ------- - -

Another 2 pics...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Medal for the Defense of Stalingrad  - Ribbon a Replacement?   Medal for the Defense of Stalingrad  - Ribbon a Replacement?  

And lucky last.
    This pic shows 4 out of the 5 medals worn with reversed ribbons.

Seems the Soviets loved to fiddle with their ribbons
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Medal for the Defense of Stalingrad  - Ribbon a Replacement?  

In general, I think that it is rather pointless to discuss today whether the ribbon is original or replaced. Soviet veterans usually changed the ribbons on the suspensions usually every 10-15 years, before the next Victory Day celebration. Moreover, in the USSR, many of them were replaced for free. And since 1945, 75 years have already passed...

In my opinion, if a medal, such as 'For Bravery' has the old ribbon, not changed, it keeps historical value. The ribbon has seen 75 years of history.
    Quick mention: Happy Elbe Day! 75 years ago, Soviet and American forces met in Torgau.

What is considered an original ribbon? Only the ribbon with which the medal was awarded to the recipient? How can this be determined practically from the ribbon itself?
    In Soviet medals, suspension devices always had adaptations for easy replacement of ribbons.
    Prices for Soviet medals with pentagonal suspensions (and for orders, however, too) never practically did not differ from whether the original ribbon on the suspension or replaced. Moreover, the share of medals with original ribbons decreased, to my mind, to percents in the first 20 years after the end of the GPW.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast