Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Medal and document for the defense of Sevastopol!

Article about: Dear fellow collectors, I have been offered the following set: - A medal for the defense of Sevastopol and its corresponding document. Now I have two questions, therefore russian medals aren

Default Medal and document for the defense of Sevastopol!

Dear fellow collectors,

I have been offered the following set:

- A medal for the defense of Sevastopol and its corresponding document.

Now I have two questions, therefore russian medals aren't my strongest field of collecting.
    The first one, are the medal and document genuine? The second one, about how much will such a set cost?
    I hope you are able to answer my questions.
    Below the very few pictures I got.

Kind regards,

George

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Medal and document for the defense of Sevastopol!
    P
    Many

The document appears to be genuine. Sevastopol Medals can be tricky to assess. The medals are above my pay grade so I don't collect them, but do have a few documents in the collection. Even those can be challenging.

I think worst case scenario, good document, reproduction medal, although I do like the two piece steel suspension, which can be a good sign. Your best case scenario is both are genuine, but to be honest I am not sure about the medal itself.

I know this "assessment/opinion" is probably not very helpful at all, but it's the best I can do based on what you have shown and my obviously limited experience with these medals, which are scarce, as are the documents either singularly or in groups.

Additionally, the forum does not provide valuation services, sorry. Perhaps other more experienced collectors may speak to the authenticity of this particular medal, but I do like the document.
    Last edited by Bill Garvy; 09-19-2018 at 07:09 PM.

Hi Bill,

First of all thanks for your reply!
    Secondly thanks for your opinion on the matter!
    I want to say that every opinion is welcome and is therefore helpful in the assessment on to wether or not the medal and document are real or not.
    I am going to take the gamble and will buy the set. As soon as it gets into my hands I will post better pictures of it, in the hope that we can come to a final conclusion.

Cheers!

George

To me, it looks original and document is original. They are hard to judge as there are VERY good reproduction documents and the medal out there.

Unteroffizer Klaus (Liam)

?

I can only support what Bill has said.
    Generally, buying rare medals based on such blurry pictures is not advisable.
    But let's hope for the best.

I agree, with these rare, and so widely faked medals I would ONLY buy when good, clear and close-up pics would be provided. Any other way would be a too high risk ending up with a fake.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I asked for some more pictures, and the seller provided them, look below, what do you think of the medal now?

Regards,

George

In my opinion, for a medal that is faked so much, and is as pricy as these the seller should provide good pictures. For a medal like this these pics are simply not good enough to properly see all details. If I would buy such a medal I would like to buy without ever getting doubts on originality. See for example Soviet Medal for the Defense of Sevastopol Variation 2 'Voenkomat' where a good Voenkomat medal is offered for sale and compare pictures.

The only reason for me to buy such a medal by such pics is when the price would be so good that it is worth to take the gamble