Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Medals from Afghanistan

Article about: I got these two medals in Kandahar in 2003, The first one appears German and other maybe Russian, Need help in identifying them?? thanks MikeAttachment 191472Attachment 191473

?

Default Medals from Afghanistan

I got these two medals in Kandahar in 2003, The first one appears German and other maybe Russian, Need help in identifying them?? thanks MikeAttachment 191472Attachment 191473

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Medals from Afghanistan
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Medals from Afghanistan

Hi Mike,
    second medal is German too - over the years 1813 and 1814.

Hi your second medal is a russian medal,Medals for Distinguished Military Service..your one is missing the hanger.. Established 28 October 1974. Awarded to all servicemen of the Soviet Army, Navy, Ministry of Internal Affairs Troops (MVD) and Border Guard troops for excellence in military and political training, for special military merits during maneuvers or combat service. Award,d in two classes 1st and 2nd. Regulations do not determine which was to be awarded first. This award was instituted simultaneously with the order For Service to the Motherland in the USSR Armed Forces. 1st class is made of Brass, and approximately 20,000 were issued. 2nd class is made of German Silver, and approximately 120,000 were issued, yours is the brass one, although yours is very well worn...these medals are being faked....i am not saying yours is fake..hard to tell with this image...hope this helps..

If there is to be revolution, there must be a revolutionary party.
    Attached Images Attached Images Medals from Afghanistan 

?

Thanks that give me a lot more info than I had, I really don't think it is fake, especially without the hanger, I purchased these from a Afghan in 2003 along with 9, 1913 Remington Bayonets Made for the British enfield with Brit proof marks. I could have bought the Wilkerson bayonet which is Identical except the handle grooves, The Soviets were there for 10 years and the British for 50, We have been there for 10 now. No telling what is still there?? Any idea what these medals are worth I might have a dollar or two in them. Wasn't much. thanks again

Quote by darrenj40 View Post
    your second medal is a russian
    darrenj40, I don't think so!
    On my picture the Russian award is right-hand. Compare, if you like!
    I don't know what is it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Medals from Afghanistan  

I've caught it!
    Afghan "for Distinguished Military Service"
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Medals from Afghanistan  

You beat me to the answer. I had also just found out what it is - a medal from the Soviet occupation period of Afghanistan. This site...:
    Ryska medaljer och Ordnar
    ...has another example of this medal with the following description:

"AFGHANISTAN Distinguished Military Service Medal

Soviet period (1979 - 1991) Afghanistan Distinguished Military Service Medal As most of Soviet Era (DRA, RA) Afghan awards, this particular very rare decoration is virtually a copy of Soviet Distinguished Military Service Medal , with slight variations, of course - Dari writing. Awarded to Afghan Servicemen AND SOVIET ADVISERS in the name of the Government of Democratic Republic of Afghanistan. Made by the Soviet Mint. This medal (just like all other Afghan awards of that period) is VERY-VERY-VERY RARE for two reasons - very few of them were awarded, and NOBODY wanted to be cought with one after 1992 - would have been a direct pass to the gallows in the hands of new, post-Soviet Afghan regime, as a "traitor" of Islamic Afghanistan
    and "collaborator" with Soviet "occupants"."

The other one is a Bavarian decoration, the Militärdenkzeichen für 1813/1815. Instituted on 4 December 1814 by King Maximilian Joseph I. of Bavaria, it was given to Bavarian troops - both officers and enlisted men - who had served in the period of the Napoleonic Campaigns of 1813 through 1815.

See:

Bayern Militärdenkzeichen für 1813-1815 - The OMSA Medal Database
    Militärdenkzeichen für 1813, 1814, 1815
    Militärdenkzeichen für 1813/1815 (Bayern)

Are any Forum members seriously fascinated with Soviet orders and medals awarded for Afghanistan war?

I am now...

At the rate time passes for us forty-somethings; soon enough that "war" will be forty years past, and soon after, FIFTY. Might as well start a collection now like our senior associate Third Reich enthusiasts started in the fifties and sixties.

I already own examples of both classes of the Distinguished Military Service Medal. I may as well have an example of the Afghan issue also. I'll be looking out for one...

Thanks for the enlightening thread guys!
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

Thank you for interest.
    I mean first of all Soviet combat orders and medals awarded for actions in Afghanistan confirmed by archival research or other documents, for example Order of the Red Star, Medals for Bravery, Militari Service, etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast