Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Odessa medal + docs authentic?

Article about: Hi everyone, just have a medal that would like an opinion on its authenticity. Thanks in advance!

Default Odessa medal + docs authentic?

Hi everyone, just have a medal that would like an opinion on its authenticity.
    Thanks in advance!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Odessa medal + docs authentic?   Odessa medal + docs authentic?  

Odessa medal + docs authentic?   Odessa medal + docs authentic?  

Odessa medal + docs authentic?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Odessa medal + docs authentic?
    P
    Many

Looks bad to me.

?

I think the same.

What do you base your opinion on? i am starting out, so i am a newbie in this? anything particular to pay attention to?

?

The ring does not look good. You can take a picture of it? The medal was made of brass. It does not seem

I would not condemn this one immediately.

It may be the photograph that makes it look less like brass.

There were 2 variations of this medal. Variation 1 was the initial issue and had the ring soldered but very neatly and without excess solder visible. Variation 2 was issued later and had the ring stamped as part of the medal.

I would be more concerned by the detail of the strike and this one looks flawed on the circular rim lines I must agree but again this might be the photograph.

Good, clear straight on images of the medal plus clear close images of the ring where it meets the medal would help.

Also, bear in mind this medal was awarded in a relatively low number, about 30,000 I think and the doc serial number is especially low. The stamp on the document does look a bit "vivid" but that in itself would not condmn so full clear images of the doc would be good too.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    I would not condemn this one immediately.

It may be the photograph that makes it look less like brass.

There were 2 variations of this medal. Variation 1 was the initial issue and had the ring soldered but very neatly and without excess solder visible. Variation 2 was issued later and had the ring stamped as part of the medal.

I would be more concerned by the detail of the strike and this one looks flawed on the circular rim lines I must agree but again this might be the photograph.

Good, clear straight on images of the medal plus clear close images of the ring where it meets the medal would help.

Also, bear in mind this medal was awarded in a relatively low number, about 30,000 I think and the doc serial number is especially low. The stamp on the document does look a bit "vivid" but that in itself would not condmn so full clear images of the doc would be good too.

Regards

Mark
    The document looks like a typical fake that's circling around - printed finish and the stamp is a clear mark of that.

The medal lacks detail and indeed looks like its not brass. I'm 99% certain that these are fake.

Quote by Aleksander P View Post
    The document looks like a typical fake that's circling around - printed finish and the stamp is a clear mark of that.

The medal lacks detail and indeed looks like its not brass. I'm 99% certain that these are fake.
    Yep, I don't disagree. I just didn't think the pics were good enough to be certain. As I said, the stamp is very "vivid"!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Fakers use chemicals to grow old paper, having a color equal to this document.

Great information, thanks everyone!
    I will try and get better pics, but this is someone sending an offer.

It would be nice to see an actual original to be able to determine what to look for.

David - you said that it doesn't look like its made of brass...how is brass supposed to look?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast