MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Order of Glory II #45393 with practically all gold in tact!

Article about: Hi all- I have recently found for sale this Order of Glory II that dates around 1945 that I am very confident it is a real one. I believe it to be a type 3, but I can't tell. The first 2 pho

Thank you

My only guess is that he just took really really good care of the medal itself, or maybe he received it during the last few days/weeks of fighting? Also, I'm not sure if I have said this already here, but it seems as though I sadly cannot get this award researched

Do you guys think there is a possibility of the documents being found in the archives in a few years? I was really hoping to find out the story behind this...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Order of Glory II #45393 with practically all gold in tact!
    P
    Many

He didn't receive it during the last days of fighting but after the fightings have ended I would guess. I checked a list with OG II and their award dates:

31249: 21-04-1945
    35427: 12-02-1945
    37231: 1951
    38236: 1956
    45596: 1958 (double OG III upgraded to OG II)
    47249: 29-10-1944

Another to add to the list: # 41869: March 6 1945 awarded to Nikolay Fedorovich Eremenko.

Quote by Marcel Banziger View Post
    Another to add to the list: # 41869: March 6 1945 awarded to Nikolay Fedorovich Eremenko.
    Marcel, you're making me wish I could get this award researched more and more

Quote by PapaStalin1943 View Post
    Marcel, you're making me wish I could get this award researched more and more
    I am trying to create a rough timeline from when this order could be awarded.

Why can't it be researched btw?

Not quite sure to be honest, Auke got back to me and told me quote "Sadly no records could be found in the archives on the Order of Glory 2nd Class". Quite a bummer.

I hope that one day the documents will pop up in the Archives, as I've read that only around 30% of the WWII archives have been gone through... I guess that's just wishful thinking, but then again it may happen, as that's what happened when I was trying to research my relative that fought in the war (no info found, then a year later there was info on him).

Also, I never knew that some people received two OG III's. Very strange indeed. I guess it's also like how some sets of 2+ Order Red Banners don't have the "2", "3", etc number on the bottom of the medal.

It happened quite often that soldiers were recommended for an OG and due to slow processing of administration were awarded a double OG III. it was wartime and actions followed quite quickly after another. For an action of today you could be recommended for an OG and for the action of tomorow you can also be recommended for an OG. By the time these recommendations were approved time had passed and two OG III's could be awarded with higher command not yet aware of the other awarded OG. Much later when administration was being set straight OG III's were being upgraded to OG II and OG II's were upgraded to OG I.
    So this is quite common.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4