Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Order Glory II and III grouping

Article about: Hello! I have seen this grouping of an Order Glory III and II class, and I think that it is good/authentic, but as I have learned in the past, always get a 2nd opinion from the experts, whic

Default Order Glory II and III grouping

Hello! I have seen this grouping of an Order Glory III and II class, and I think that it is good/authentic, but as I have learned in the past, always get a 2nd opinion from the experts, which is what I was hoping I can get. (The soldier’s name is “Осипов Василий Алексеевич”, and he has a Wikipedia page if you would like to see more info on him.) Thanks!

Order Glory II and III groupingOrder Glory II and III groupingOrder Glory II and III groupingOrder Glory II and III groupingOrder Glory II and III groupingOrder Glory II and III groupingOrder Glory II and III groupingOrder Glory II and III groupingOrder Glory II and III grouping

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Order Glory II and III grouping
    P
    Many

This set is discussed on another forum. The OGII is an original but the OGIII is doubtful. See this:

"Currently available on the well-known auction site for a buy-it-now price of $3,500.00. The orders booklet and OGII only first surfaced at auction in Ukraine a couple of years back. Since then, the "OGIII" has now suddenly appeared. While I'm confident in the OGII's and orders booklet's authenticity, I can't say the same for the OGIII based on the images below. While the OGIII's "serial number" matches that awarded to the Full Cavalier in question, the likelihood of the original OGIII being found and then reunited with the OGII and orders booklet seems remote at best. The seller is in Latvia and has a solid eBay reputation.

In any event, this an interesting offering as the Full Cavalier in question initially served in an airborne unit and later transitioned to duties as an aerial gunner/radio operator in an IL-2 Shturmovik ground attack aircraft. His OGIII recommendation included credit for shooting down a German aircraft. His IL-2 pilot would go on to earn the HSU title."

Hi Marcel! Do you think you can possible link the other thread? Thanks! Also, so you are saying that the Glory II is authentic but the Glory III is a possible fake? Thanks!

From these pics the OGIII looks authentic (can't see any traces of this Order being renumbered either) but I have to agree with the above comment that the OGIII suddenly appeared after some years is quite strange. It is possible however. With such 'doubtful' high $$$ items I prefer to see better pics in all honesty to take away that last little bit of doubt.

Thanks for the great advice! I will ask the seller right now for better pics of the OGIII.

He said that these are the best pics he can get.

Order Glory II and III groupingOrder Glory II and III grouping

I wonder why many Ebay sellers never provide proper photos of higher end items/groupings?? The better the pics, the more people are interested, the higher the final price will be. Now we're stuck with some semi-dark shady photos

Dom
    ?

Strange yes but possible as Marcel says and what will the contributor say if the 1st Degree appears in turn ?
    I hope he still exists

The medallions are worn but the two Orders looks good on what we see.

Hopefully I can get this one, as it would be my first orders with documentation, and it would also be my first grouping from one soldier (and also because of the amazing story), but probably not. I think there will be a bidding war for this. Wish me luck in a few days!
    Last edited by PapaStalin1943; 01-11-2019 at 08:01 AM.

On the following link the story of the set while being for sale can be followed through the years. It's a thread focusing on the Full Cavaliers of the Order of Glory. The author of the book "Onward to Berlin!: Red Army Valor in World War II - The Full Cavaliers of the Soviet Order of Glory", Bruce E. Empric is one of the 'driving forces' of this thread. He followed this set through the years (as well as many other Full Cavalier sets).

Order Glory II and III grouping

This set started as only being the OGII including award booklet, surfacing in Ukraines some years prior to being offered on Ebay by a seller from Latvia. The set with the OGII and the suddenly re-appeared OGIII was initially put up for sale in Latvia for $ 3500,- in 2016, a month later a price drop, now asking $ 2999,-. A week later in late 2016 another price drop bringing it to $ 2499,-. Next month price lowered once more to $ 1999,-, still without a sale. Late december 2016 price was lowered to $ 1599,-. In late february 2017 this set was taken off the auction after not being sold for the last asking price of $ 1599,-. Only now, in 2019 this set resurfaced again with three more days to go before the auction ends (current highest bid $ 208,-).

This author also later in the thread confirms originality of the OGIII:
    "Although I had my reservations, a knowledgeable fellow collector has confirmed the OGIII's authenticity.
    One correction. Osipov's OGIII recommendation credited him with damaging and not shooting down a Me-109 fighter. After three long bursts from his machine gun, the German fighter began trailing smoke and returned to its lines.

Regards,
    slava1stclass"

All in all an interesting set and I am curious to see what the final sale price will be. I guess with the rising prices and the long interest in this set on the other forum it will sell good (though never reaching the high prices as being asked some years ago).

Hereby the link to the Full Cavalier thread (a very interesting read for those into collecting Order of Glory awards).

Full Cavaliers of the Order of Glory - Present Day Market Realities - Page 23 - Russia: Soviet Orders, Medals & Decorations - Gentleman's Military Interest Club

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast