Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Order of the patriotic War 2nd Class 1985 issue

Article about: Got this today and not really what I collect, but it was very cheap and it definitely looks nice so what the heck. Did some searching and it seems that this is a 1985 issue medal seeing as t

Default Order of the patriotic War 2nd Class 1985 issue

Got this today and not really what I collect, but it was very cheap and it definitely looks nice so what the heck. Did some searching and it seems that this is a 1985 issue medal seeing as the hammer & sickle are cast as part of medal and not separate, apart from other factors. I don't like the way the engraved number looks, but the rest looks okay. The last thing that niggles is the clear line across the back where you can see a definite colour difference between the two sides. This runs around to the front too. Any opinions?
    Thanks.
    Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images Order of the patriotic War 2nd Class 1985 issue  Order of the patriotic War 2nd Class 1985 issue  Order of the patriotic War 2nd Class 1985 issue  Order of the patriotic War 2nd Class 1985 issue 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Order of the patriotic War 2nd Class 1985 issue
    P
    Many

Default Re: Order of the patriotic War 2nd Class 1985 issue

BTW, what is the number supposed to be, 3704643 or 370Y643 (which doesn't make sense)?
    Tom

Hi Tom, first off it is totally original. No problems at all. These are not faked.

The number will be 3704643. Just a lazy bit of engraving and to our Western eyes easily mistaken.

The colour difference is down to it being in contact with something which has created the difference in patina. You can read more about these here;

Odysseus © -- Soviet Screwback Orders

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Ade, thanks for the speedy reply. The site you mention is the one I was looking at whilst "researching" this medal. I saw the link in one of your previous threads.
    Now to see if I can find a WW2 issue one. These Russian Orders look very cool. Especially like the effect with the enamel. Will have to try expand on these at some time.
    Now I've opened Pandora's box mate!
    Tom

Hi Tom, you have indeed opened the Box!

i always think it these medals were German (and the quality is just as good if not better) they would be many many times the price.

Over here these are still about £10/£15.

Cheers, Ade.

You're right. I paid about that for mine, main reason why I bought it. I personally find these Russian awards very attractive and well made.
    Tom

Nice Chernenkovka!
    The orders with similar colour defects called harlequin. Not frequent! It will outvalue for a connoisseur.

Thanks for the info.
    Tom

Finally got another 2nd class to add to my minute Russian collection as well as a post war Guards badge.
    Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Order of the patriotic War 2nd Class 1985 issue   Order of the patriotic War 2nd Class 1985 issue  

Order of the patriotic War 2nd Class 1985 issue  
    Attached Images Attached Images Order of the patriotic War 2nd Class 1985 issue  Order of the patriotic War 2nd Class 1985 issue 

Hi Tom, I think these are two iconic badges and every Soviet collection should have them.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast