A very nice example with what appears to be the original silver screw plate; we will anxiously await the results of your research.
Thank you Bill!
The results of the research came in and this guy seems big. His name was Timofey Yakovlevich Zaykov and he was born in 1898. He joined RKKA in 1917, during the year of the revolution and joined the party in 1919. He was an Major of the Air Force. I will give more detail later. My friend translated his long citation to Finnish and I'm trying to translate it to English. I dont understand a lot of Russian.
Last edited by Aleksander P; 11-03-2013 at 02:26 AM.
Here is the full translation.
1. Surname, name, father’s name: ZAYKOV Timofey Yakovlevich
2. Rank: Major
3. Position department: Executive secretary of party commission of the political department of 4th
area basing of aviation
4. Year of Birth: 1898
5. Nationality: Russian
6. Party Membership: Member of Communistic party since November 1919
7. Participation in war action in defending USSR and Great Patriotic War (when, where): West front, 5th Rifledivision 37th rifle regiment since 1919 till 1920 South front 2 Moscow infantry courses 1920 the subjection of the rebels in Kronshtadt 1921, WW2 since 1941 in 7th Separate Army and since 25
March 1944 in 7th Air Army Karelian Front
8. Wounds or contusions in Great Patriotic War: Doesn’t have
9. Start of service: Since 1917-1937 and 1941
10. Name of Military registration and enlistment office: Pervomayskiy RVK of Petrozavodsk
11. Previous awards: Red Star 1941, and Red Star for Long Service
12. Address of awarded person and his family: ______
SHORT CONTENT OF THE COMBAT DEED
Comrade Zaykov for the entire period of his work in the department of Political proved himself a tireless political worker.
Ably and energetically carrying out an uncompromising struggle against violators of the military
and party discipline. Tirelessly educates and mobilizes the party cadres Communists to perform assigned tasks.
A lot of work over the growth of the Bolshevik Party and the passion is fighting for the purity of
Is a frequent speaker for the communists and the officers.
During the operations in defeating the enemy forces southwest of Konigsberg and the capture of
the city of Koenigsberg, the Berlin direction and capture of Berlin, fellow stammered while a lot
of time in the part of the District has put a lot of effort and energy to ensure uninterrupted service
to combat air and life flight and technical staff.
Their entire system of work he contributed to its task, the high command.
For skillful job of providing combat air District Zaikov T.Y. worthy of governmental
awards «Great Patriotic War II class»
Head of the Political Department of the Area 4 basing of aviation
Colonel _____ CHTUCHOV
Thanks for the update.
Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!
Interesting research; he sounds like he was a Commissar, or Political Officer, of some sort. Can you post any of the archival documents in your possession? Did you obtain his Award Card to see what, if any, additional awards were conferred? Then there is his Service Record which I imagine would be quite interesting to see as well. Thank you for posting!
Decided, since I am retired and have the time, to check podvignaroda using the name, Timofey Yakovlevich Zaykov (Тимофей Яковлевич Зайков) and 1898 year of birth. I was, not surprisingly, unable to find the citation or award list for the Order of the Patriotic War in 2nd Class, but did manage to extract the documents for an Order of the Red Star, an early one, (possibly #19xxx to 29xxx) conferred per the date of the citation of August 21, 1941. He is #55 on page 2 of the award list.
This is the link to his OPW2 citation:
????????????? ??????????? ???? ?????????? '?????? ??????'
Thank you very much, Auke, two different spellings of his name, Тимофей Яковлевич Зайков versus Тимофей Яковлевич Заиков. So ends my Russian lesson for today, ahem. . .