Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Order of Red Banner to a Red Army man, Poland 1944

Article about: This medal is very special for me. Bough it as usually on eBay from Ukraine just to put it on officers gymnasterka. Few months after purchase decided to get a records for it. Results were ou

?

Quote by Marinecollector42 View Post
    Interesting, never'e seen this map. I'e seen this report in 17th rifle division battle report but hand written cirillic is unreadable for me so I needed to use army report. It would be interesting to read divisional report.
    I have to admit, that even though I am a native speaker, this particular handwriting makes me scratch my head.
    Here is the entry:
    "12-13 October 1944
    17 rifle "Bobruysk" Red Banner division contained the enemy by fire on the line Szygowek - Ponikiew - Poplawy, attacked by 2 rifle regiments and force crossed river Narew. By 18:00 13 October engaging enemy on the line Gnoino (North), (???) Chmielewo.
    1316 rifle regiment together with attached 189 detached assault company force crossed river Narew overcoming strong enemy fire countermeasures and after a fight captured Szwierczyn, Gnoino (North). By 11:00 on 13 October engages enemy on the line North-West and West 400m Gnoino (North).
    1312 rifle regiment overcoming enemy fire countermeasures force crossed river Narew on the night to 13 October and by 10:00 13 October continues to engage enemy on the line road Gnoino (North, Chmielewo).
    Meeting strong enemy fire resistance the regiments had no further success and dug in on the captured ground.
    The provisional force consisting of 146 army reserve rifle regiment and 1314 rifle regiment defended on their original positions containing the enemy on their sectors.
    "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Order of Red Banner to a Red Army man, Poland 1944
    P
    Many

That's great! Thank you! That's amazing that an order bought on common auction website from Ukraine turned out to be connected with a place which is 40km from my home and where I've been several Times before and I have a chance to stand at the same place and see the same view which comrade Yachnik seen 74 years ago.
    Unfortunately my 2 other IDd orders are related to some other places quite far away (some village in western Belarus and Sevastopol).
    Think I should make one more trip there with new informtions and llok for some more traces of this battle.

?

Hello,
    Here is the entry from 14/Oct :
    "14.10.1944
    17 rifle "Bobruysk" Red Banner division in the second half 14.10.1944 was attacking in the same directions.
    1316 rifle regiment attacked by two rifle battalions in the second half of the day in the direction of Boby (???). By the end of the day they reached the position 700m-800m East of Boby (???). Meeting strong enemy fire they had no further success and continued the engagement on the won ground.
    One rifle battalion is on the same position.
    1312 rifle regiment attacked in the direction of Boby and by the end of the day reached position 500m West of Gnojno (???).
    The provisional force defended on their original positions containing the enemy on their sectors.
    1314 rifle regiments 1st battalion defends the original position. The 2nd rifle battalion assembled on the position 500m South of Pawłówek in the second half of the day 14.10, and is ready to force cross Narew in the direction to Kleszewo. The 3rd rifle battalion together with 188 detached assault company are located in vicinity of Poplawy and ready to force cross Narew in the direction of Pułtusk.
    "

The division continued unsuccessfully assault for several days. Later it was moved to the Eastern bank of Narew and after regrouping forced Narew again, but this time in Pułtusk area where continued assault, but without much success.

Thank You! That gives much more detailed information than in army report. In fact division later landed near Pułtusk and crossed narrow river Pełta in last days of october. However on october 30th Germans launched strong counterattack and threw back Soviets.

In case anyone is interested in what happend later to Yachnik.
    His unit took part in East Prussia offensive capturing heavily fortified city Maków Mazowiecki, Mława, Nidzica (Neidenburg), Olsztynek(Hohenstein), Orneta(Wormditt), fighting near Elbląg (Elbing). In april 1945 17th div made an assault across Wiślany dam and landed on Wiślana spit fighting against remains of divisions of Wehrmacht and Waffen SS also different kinds of paramilitary units which escaped there awaiting evacuation and were cut off and finally surrendered on May 9th. Before it happend division was moved to Kąty Rybackie(Bodenwinkel) where it participied in liquidation of desperate remains of german units untill on May 10th it was moved to coast defense. After the war Yachnik attended to a officers course at military academy. Made Mladshy leitnant and in september 1946 was sent to far east where he became commander of reconnasaince in motorized brigade. He served until late 1950s and made captain.

?

You are welcome!
    It seems the veteran was awarded OPWII in 1985 while living in the town Cherkassy.
    There was no photograph in his service record?

No, I was told that there was no service record in archives. Just award documents.
    I know he received Red Star in late 1956 probably for long service.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2