Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

please help with identifying this medal

Article about: My father was stationed in Yalta, Ukraine in 1944 and flew Yugoslav covert operations for the allies during the WW11 ( story was told that he dropped and uplifted special forces and spies),

clague10
    ?

Default please help with identifying this medal

My father was stationed in Yalta, Ukraine in 1944 and flew Yugoslav covert operations for the allies during the WW11 ( story was told that he dropped and uplifted special forces and spies), he was a member of SAAF 44 squad flying DC 3's. I have added a photo, where he has attached a star on his front SAAF tunic jacket pocket. He said to my mother that this was a 'star of russia' but I think that this not literal. He is also quoted in a later publication saying that the Russians gave him a medal for shovelling snow from the airfield. He was a member of Churchills flying party to Yalta to meet with Stalin, though I don't think the medal has anything to do with this. Can anyone shed light on the actual medal from the quite unclear photo. thanks norman
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture please help with identifying this medal  

2. # ADS

Default Re: please help with identifying this medal

Hey!!

It looks like the Order of the Red Star which was worn on the right side of the chest as shown in the picture.

Unregistered
    ?

thank you very much for this observation. Do you know where I can get an internet picture of this medal. I would also like to try to verify it for my records and if possible do you know if there is someway that the reasons that my father was awarded this medal can be sourced from a website. He was killed after the war in a freak flying accident and all the history went with him.
    Thanks once again, norman

Quote by clague10 View Post
    My father was stationed in Yalta, Ukraine in 1944 and flew Yugoslav covert operations for the allies during the WW11 ( story was told that he dropped and uplifted special forces and spies), he was a member of SAAF 44 squad flying DC 3's. I have added a photo, where he has attached a star on his front SAAF tunic jacket pocket. He said to my mother that this was a 'star of russia' but I think that this not literal. He is also quoted in a later publication saying that the Russians gave him a medal for shovelling snow from the airfield. He was a member of Churchills flying party to Yalta to meet with Stalin, though I don't think the medal has anything to do with this. Can anyone shed light on the actual medal from the quite unclear photo. thanks norman
    Quote by RedArmyCollector View Post
    Hey!!

It looks like the Order of the Red Star which was worn on the right side of the chest as shown in the picture.
    Are you able to make a high resolution scan of this area?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture please help with identifying this medal  

It would be a lot easier to see with a high resolution and if that women's face wasn't casting a shadow....and here is the link to the Order of the Red Star

There are several variations so I would look into that as well.

Order of the Red Star - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hi Norman, welcome to the forum!

Sorry, this is not an Order of the Red Star, but would appear to be a Red Army cap badge. The size (too small) and design is not right for the Order.

Cheers, Ade.

?

THe size is 100% does not looks to be similar to Red Star order

clague10
    ?

Thanks again for the input everyone. I will try to clear up the pic, around the area marked. I do remember from a larger pic, now lost.. that the star was 5 sided, shiny metal, no enamel and no writing. Appeared to be dull colour, say brass col or gold.
    thanks norman

clague10
    ?

att Richi C. Of interest to you in the US, is the USAF wings on the left hand jacket pocket. Earlier in the war he flew US general staff personal from Washington to Casablanca. He was seconded to the USAF during this period.

I thought it was the Red Star but o well...