Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Reference book

Article about: With the military show of shows fast approaching I find myself in need of a soviet ww2 medals and decorations reference book. Can anyone suggest one that is reliable and helpful? Thanks -Dim

Dimitri
    ?

Default Reference book

With the military show of shows fast approaching I find myself in need of a soviet ww2 medals and decorations reference book. Can anyone suggest one that is reliable and helpful? Thanks -Dimitri

2. # ADS

Default Re: Reference book

I concur, and this site offers an exceptional discussion forum as far as ODMs are concerned. One that I myself, am proud to be a member of:

http://www.soviet-awards.com/forum/index.php
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

Hi Dimitri, I am also a member there too.

However, you asked about a book. The one you need, if you are serious about collecting Soviets awards is:

"The Comprehensive guide to Soviet Orders and Medals" by McDaniel & Schmit.

I hope you are now sitting down? The price of this book, ten years old and long out of print hovers at around the $200 mark But it is the "bible".

Cheers, Ade.

example of good book too , but only in russian language
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Reference book   Reference book  

Ed_Haynes
    ?

The "Red Bible" (McDaniel & Schmitt) is now now aging, out of print, and expensive when you can find it, but it is still the English-language gold standard. My advice would be that any beginning collector should buy it first.

A wide range of newer books are out in Russian and other languages and they are variable in their quality of both content and production.

For me, the best online source, if you have Russian language skills or (like me) can tolerate laughable online translations is the Mondovor site and be aware it can be very slow to load and sometimes cranky.

There are other online fora, some good, some not, and each with its own focus (for example, some value researh, some are oriented toward "type collecting", some are more "snarly" than others, etc.). As the old song said: "You'd better shop around".

Hi Dimitri

I believe one of our moderators 'Doc Riley' wrote some books on the subject. You could always PM him and ask for more information...

@ Ed Haynes

Welcome to to forum...

Greetz

Nick VR