Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Some of my Soviet awards

Article about: They're just lovely, aren't they...

?

Default Re: Some of my Soviet awards

The Red Banner of Labor is a beautiful award, but since it isn't researchable, military awards have always been my favorites. I have also never been really interested in collecting every sub-sub-sub-variation that is out there. I do have the four major types of the RBL though, and some sub-variations and different makers. It's interesting that the awards over time kept their width, but kept getting flatter. See the picture below for an illustration.

From left to right:

- Type 3 ('Long Oval', 48 mm high, ≈ S/N 21000 - 134500)
    - Type 4 ('Semi-Long Oval', 46 mm high, ≈ S/N 134500 - 195400)
    - Type 5 ('Short Oval', 45 mm high, ≈ S/N 195000 - 386500)
    - Type 6 ('Ring Reverse', 44 mm high, ≈ S/N 368500 - 1293000)

These four pieces were produced in 1948, 1950, 1951 and 1970 respectively.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	orbls2.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	128198  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

Some close-ups of nice pieces (RBL 79K, RB 107K, Lenin 285K, RS 213K):
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	orba10.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	232.2 KB 
ID:	128199   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	orb4v2.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	130.2 KB 
ID:	128200  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	len.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	147.0 KB 
ID:	128201   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rs.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	128202  

I have one 1945 Red Star and it sits on the forehead flap of my fur Uschanka

Reverse please, Auke. . .

You know I love that Red Star. . . Summer, 1943?
    Last edited by Bill Garvy; 08-10-2010 at 10:19 PM.

?

Awarded 28 July 1943, to be exact, to Guards Major Savelyev, Acting Chief of Reconnaissance of the 5th Guards Tank Army. I also have his OPW2 (see below), which was awarded on 17 November 1943, and the Lenin above is his too (awarded in 1954 for 25 years of service). The OPW2 and RS are both awarded for organizing the army's recon missions. Savelyev headed these missions on several occasions, taking prisoners and capturing valuable documents.

This is actually one of my favorite groups. I initially bought the OPW2 several years ago and had it researched, and a year later I bought the Lenin from the same seller. It was only when I got home that I noticed that the Lenin was awarded to the same guy. I then asked the seller if he had or had sold more of Savelyev's awards. Fortunately he had kept a list of everything he had ever sold, and another one of Savelyev's awards was on it (his first Red Star). It then took me another couple of months to track down that Red Star. The seller had sold it only a couple of months earlier, but in that time it had been in collections in Belgium, Germany and Australia. But after some tough negotiating I was able to make a deal with the final owner and now I have at least been able to reunite these three awards.

Research is great, isn't it?

Name:	rsa.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	128409   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	opw.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	128410  

Name:	opwa.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	128411   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	savelyev007.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	128412  

So is your persistence! If you have the time I'd love to see then entire group, including documents, perhaps in its own thread? Thank you for sharing these!

?

Thank you Auke!, for your work in bringing together and preserving some of the life and deeds of Guards Major Savelyev.

If there is a Heaven for old Soviet fighters, then perhaps his Soul rests better knowing that he is remembered and his heroism admired.

- Frayer

Thank very much Auke ,great job !
    i like the Red Banner of Labor

Pierre

?

Many of my awards have been researched, and several of them have been posted online (on other forums). I could repost them all here, but I think it's easier to just post links to the other topics, if that's okay. It's only a small selection, I still have much cool stuff to translate and throw online...

- RS 213K, PW2 44K, and Lenin 285K to Colonel Savelyev: http://warrelics.eu/forum/orders-med...avelyev-23282/
    - RS 398K and PW2 913K to Private Vasetsky: Guards Pvt. Nikolai Antonovich Vasetsky - Gentleman's Military Interest Club
    - ORS 474K and 2,750K to Captain Tseplyayev (Smersh!): Smersh Captain Tseplyayev - Gentleman's Military Interest Club

- RB 21 K to Commander Ustinov (gunboat commander!): Red Banner,Baltic Fleet gunboat,21792 - The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum
    - RB 107K to Senior Lieutenant Mamoshin (later KIA): 1944 Red Banner to Sr. Lt. Mamoshin - Gentleman's Military Interest Club
    - RB 201K to Colonel Smyshnikov (Smersh!): Red Banner to Smersh Colonel - Gentleman's Military Interest Club
    - RB 208K to Colonel Misyura (corps chief of staff!): Long service Red Banner to corps chief of staff - Gentleman's Military Interest Club
    - RB 209K to Lieutenant Colonel Palgov (Katyushas!): Red Banner,Southern Poland,209832 - The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum
    - RB 223K to Major Korchev: Commissar Korchev's Red Banner - Gentleman's Military Interest Club

- ORS 69K to Chief Petty Officer Mishanin (destroyer NCO!): Red Star to Chief Petty Officer Mishanin - Gentleman's Military Interest Club
    - ORS 76K to Senior Lieutenant Biryukov (Op. Uranus!): Red Star,operation Uranus,76347 - The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum
    - ORS 103K to Private Ivanov (Stalingrad!): Red Star to Vladimir Ivanovich Ivanov - Gentleman's Military Interest Club
    - ORS 668K to Senior Lieutenant Shmatov: Sr. Lt. Nikolai Timofeyevich Shmatov - Gentleman's Military Interest Club
    - ORS 854K to Captain Verzhbilovskaya (a women!): Captain Verzhbilovskaya - Gentleman's Military Interest Club
    - ORS 905K to Major Zhivotchenko (NKVD): Red Star to a mess hall Major - Gentleman's Military Interest Club
    - ORS 1,282K to Private Chursin: Guards PVT Aleksandr Mikhailovich Chursin - Gentleman's Military Interest Club

- BM 117K to Politruk Pishchenko (Stalingrad Front): Ivan Akimovich Pishchenko - Gentleman's Military Interest Club
    - BM 117K to Private Ionychev (Stalingrad Front): Ivan Andreyevich Ionychev - Gentleman's Military Interest Club
    - BM 1,033K to Senior Lieutenant Galkin: Senior Lieutenant Ivan Semyonovich Galkin - Gentleman's Military Interest Club
    - BM 3,086K to Private Golovach: Research Bravery Medal - Need help in translating - Gentleman's Military Interest Club
    - BM 3,397K to Junior Sergeant Kadyrov: Jr. Sgt. Kaimurat Kadyrov - Gentleman's Military Interest Club

- CMM 298K to Master Sergeant Kafanov: Combat Service Medal,Southern Front,298909 - The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum

?

Orders of the Patriotic War 1st and 2nd Class, type 2:

Name:	opw12.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	135754

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast