Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Soviet "bonus" decorations

Article about: Hello everyone I am more of a "uniform man" and decorations are not my main, solid focus. Of course, while buying certain elements of soviet military attire, there is often a "

Question Soviet "bonus" decorations

Hello everyone

I am more of a "uniform man" and decorations are not my main, solid focus. Of course, while buying certain elements of soviet military attire, there is often a "bonus" medal or badge pinned to it. This way I got the following items:

1. Order of Patriotic War, II Class, measurements: 48 mm x 45 mm

(There are some damages to the silver layer, like on the butt of the rifle)

2. Guards badge, measurements: 47 mm x 34 mm
    (You can see some crackles on the white enamel as well as scratches on the red enamel of the banner. The screw is a bit bent, and it looks like two screws were merged into one)

3. For Victory over Germany medal, measurements: medal: 32 mm in diameter
    (My theory is that this one was made from different parts, i.e. the ribbon plate is wrong, the ribbon itself is not fresh-looking, but I would imagine it looking a bit older, not sure about the medal though)

4. Middle Military School badge (not sure if that's what it is called in English), measurements: 37 mm x 27 mm

Are any of those originals or just garbage "eyecatchers", placed on uniforms for advertisement?

Looking forward to your feedback!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soviet "bonus" decorations
    P
    Many

Those are very nice "bonus" decorations. Your Order of Patriotic War is an original wartime Krasnokamsk Mint order in nicely worn condition. The Guards badge is also a nicely worn wartime piece with postwar replaced nut. The Victory over Germany is a postwar medal with replaced backsuspension but still very nice.
    The school badge I have no knowledge about but I think it is a Belarussian badge, postwar for sure seeing the amount of ribbons. All in all a very nice collection!!

?

Very nice for a bonus!
    The OPW2 is most likely awarded in the Spring 1945.

Thank you guys for your comments! I must say I am a bit surprised to find out all the stuff is original. Funny thing is, that the Order of the Patriotic War came together with a bunch of cheap anniversary pins and badges on a warrant officer parade uniform from the 80ties.

I know that knowledge comes from years of experience, but perhaps you could give some slight hints/clues about the distinctive details that infallably prove the originality of these items (especialy no 1 and 2 )? What would you suggest to look at and pay attention to?

Many veterans, being awarded in wartime wore their awards 'till their very late age. During all their life they accumulated many anniversary pins, anniversary medals etc. so that can explain the wartime awards mixed with cheap anniversary pins.

For the Order of Patriotic War you can see this list for details to look for:
    http://www.odysseus1.freeyellow.com/odysseus/pw2.htm

Regarding the guards badge; there are several excellent threads posted here that go in detail. Well worth to read. On top Azad's book is a must:
    Untitled Document

Quote by Marcel Banziger View Post
    Those are very nice "bonus" decorations. Your Order of Patriotic War is an original wartime Krasnokamsk Mint order in nicely worn condition. The Guards badge is also a nicely worn wartime piece with postwar replaced nut. The Victory over Germany is a postwar medal with replaced backsuspension but still very nice.
    The school badge I have no knowledge about but I think it is a Belarussian badge, postwar for sure seeing the amount of ribbons. All in all a very nice collection!!
    I agree that this is a very nice "bonus" as long as the values were not included in the cost of the uniforms you have done very well indeed

I would add that the badge you refer to as "Middle School" is from the '60s and is a graduation badge for what would be in English, a technical school or in German Fachschule. So it ranks below the academy badges

Well done!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Dom
    ?

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    I would add that the badge you refer to as "Middle School" is from the '60s and is a graduation badge for what would be in English, a technical school or in German Fachschule. So it ranks below the academy badges
    Right, I think this badge dates from the 80's, the first ones are initially produced from 1957 are in brass.

Quote by Dom View Post
    Right, I think this badge dates from the 80's, the first ones are initially produced from 1957 are in brass.

Yep, probably right as it is quite bright. Just for clarity though it is still made of brass but with very shiny more modern electroplate finish. If my memory serves me well I think that at one point the earlier ones had symbols representing the actual trades eg; a propeller for aviation, crossed canons for artillery etc and the really early ones had the year of graduation rather than CCCP at the bottom.

I have a few and I will dig them out later.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Dom
    ?

Yes and some specialties are even hard to find
    Some examples

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    I agree that this is a very nice "bonus" as long as the values were not included in the cost of the uniforms you have done very well indeed
    Of course it is very likely, but from what I recall the uniform with the OPW2 was an honest deal. To be 100% sure, it would be best to know the value of the order to do proper math

Quote by Marcel Banziger View Post
    Many veterans, being awarded in wartime wore their awards 'till their very late age. During all their life they accumulated many anniversary pins, anniversary medals etc. so that can explain the wartime awards mixed with cheap anniversary pins.
    Marcel, thank you for the lovely links, great info! I get the idea, however I am not sure if this is the case. If the uniform was indeed of some veteran warrant officer (career nco grade instituted in the 70ties) then the lad must have had about 30-40 years of a rather lousy postwar service (not even reached a junior lieutenant grade) - does that sound right?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast