Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Soviet 'Medal for Courage' serial date?

Article about: Hi Guys I just got given a really nice Soviet 'Medal for Courage' and was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of when it was awarded? I'll include some pictures but my camera isn't the

Default Soviet 'Medal for Courage' serial date?

Hi Guys

I just got given a really nice Soviet 'Medal for Courage' and was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of when it was awarded? I'll include some pictures but my camera isn't the best. The serial number is 3161403 in case it isn't legible on the pictures!

I know I could have it researched further and may well do, I'd just like to learn when it was given out first from those in the know. Hopefully it was WW2 issue!

Soviet 'Medal for Courage' serial date? Soviet 'Medal for Courage' serial date? Soviet 'Medal for Courage' serial date?

Thanks in advance for any replies
    Cheers
    Tom

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soviet 'Medal for Courage' serial date?
    P
    Many

this medals no nomer 1947a.

Early 1945 per the "Green Bible". . .

I would concur with Bill. To give you some idea:

3.105.573 26.05.1945
    3.220.514 24.05.1945

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I would concur with Bill. To give you some idea:

3.105.573 26.05.1945
    3.220.514 24.05.1945

Cheers, Ade.
    Thanks a lot Ade and Bill

Just to check that I'm not being a plonker though! Is there a typo in the dates as it looks like the issue number increased 2 days before the first date, if that makes sense?

The main point being though, that mine was issued in mid-late May 1945? Would this more likely mean a late issue of the medal for actions during the capture of Berlin or something to do with actions elsewhere? I'm not sure how soon exactly bravery would be awarded but maybe you know.

Looking forward to seeing your replies!
    Cheers
    Tom

Hi Tom, the serial numbering is not consecutive. Batches of medals were given out to different Fronts. So a lower number could be given out later, compared to a higher one already awarded by a different Front.

Yours will be for WW2 actions. Only research will prove exactly where, to whom, and what for. Get Auke on the case.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Moshemotom View Post
    Thanks a lot Ade and Bill

Just to check that I'm not being a plonker though! Is there a typo in the dates as it looks like the issue number increased 2 days before the first date, if that makes sense?

The main point being though, that mine was issued in mid-late May 1945? Would this more likely mean a late issue of the medal for actions during the capture of Berlin or something to do with actions elsewhere? I'm not sure how soon exactly bravery would be awarded but maybe you know.

Looking forward to seeing your replies!
    Cheers
    Tom
    As Ade says, the only way to know exactly who/ what/ where/ when/ why the medal was issued is to get it researched. Auke has done all of mine and he does amazing work. It really is exciting to get these medals researched... You never know what you'll end up with!!