Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Soviet Order of the Patriotic War, 2nd class

Article about: I believe this is a WW2 issue one because the hammer and sickle is separate. Came across it looking at some other stuff. I've got nothing to represent the Russians in my collection and chewi

Default Soviet Order of the Patriotic War, 2nd class

I believe this is a WW2 issue one because the hammer and sickle is separate. Came across it looking at some other stuff. I've got nothing to represent the Russians in my collection and chewing on this for a solid start, but I wonder if $150 is too steep for something like this?

Soviet Order of the Patriotic War, 2nd classSoviet Order of the Patriotic War, 2nd classSoviet Order of the Patriotic War, 2nd classSoviet Order of the Patriotic War, 2nd classSoviet Order of the Patriotic War, 2nd class

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soviet Order of the Patriotic War, 2nd class
    P
    Many

I think the price is fine and I would buy it.

You can get it researched for a modest fee by forum member Auke.

Research service

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Screw plate may be replaced...

Wow, that's cool that they can do the research on these. Thanks Ade, I appreciate the feedback. Looks like I may have my first USSR piece!

My pleasure.

The screw backing plate may be replaced, but most Soviet collectors don't get too hung up about that.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Ended up getting it for $135, so I saved a little on it too. This should be fun to photograph, so I'll be sure to post some in hand pictures when it arrives.

I agree with Ade that this is a good piece and that the screw plate is not an issue as many were replaced due to loss and the modern replacement is sometimes very hard to tell from the wartime original.

Also, I think you did well on the price

Here are mine for comparison. Meet the family as it were.

Regards

Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soviet Order of the Patriotic War, 2nd class   Soviet Order of the Patriotic War, 2nd class  

Soviet Order of the Patriotic War, 2nd class   Soviet Order of the Patriotic War, 2nd class  

Soviet Order of the Patriotic War, 2nd class   Soviet Order of the Patriotic War, 2nd class  

Those are nice! A lovely family to have around.

Received the badge today. Man are these nice. Nice solid quality and heavy little things, easily as nice as any of my German pieces of like type. I got out my new photo backdrop and the little plastic stands I bought to get a couple of nice shots of this beauty. I'm excited to share it with you guys!

And, it's official now. I just created a "USSR" folder in my WW2 collectibles photo backup. Just what I need, I've opened up another new front in the war against my wallet.

Very nice indeed. They are actually made of silver you know.

Let us know if you get it researched by Auke. You will not be disappointed.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Very nice indeed. They are actually made of silver you know.

Let us know if you get it researched by Auke. You will not be disappointed.

Cheers, Ade.
    Yep I agree, a nice piece. I stand to be corrected but I'm going to say it would be classified as; Type 2 flatback with large mint mark.

Type 1 (with sub variants) is the suspended style and Type 3 is the 1985 re-issue still made of silver but in one piece with no variants (Type 3 is not a combat award but an anniversary commemorative granted to all surviving WWII veterans at that time).

With the Type 2 the variation is indicated by the term "flatback" and "Large mint mark". Other variants being "starback" "concave reverse" "ring reverse" and "trench reverse". There is also a variant known as "smaller version" but this an optical illusion as it is the same size but looks smaller due to having narrower star points. As far as I know the small mint mark is peculliar to the flatback. I don't collect by such variation but find these details important identification points. Thankfully the Type2 doesn't seem to have caught the eye of the fakers as the Type 1 certainly has. One point to watch with the first class Type 2 is that the gold back piece is often found to have been replaced with a gold plated item (for obvious financial reasons as the gold is 583/1000 ie 14k!) as I am sure this will be next on your list. The Type 3 is very cheap by comparison in both grades but is probably a must for the family group .As for the Type 1 be careful, do some research and put your wallet on a "high protein" diet!!

Well done for opening a "new front" and thanks for reminding me how desirable thes things are

Regards

Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast