Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Strange wear on my soviet defense medals! Are they fake?

Article about: I bought this 2 medals in Kiev, Ukraine earlier this year. Defense of Stalingrad medal and the Defense of Moscow medal. I think the wear to them is kinda strange, almost like "air bubbl

?

Default Strange wear on my soviet defense medals! Are they fake?

I bought this 2 medals in Kiev, Ukraine earlier this year. Defense of Stalingrad medal and the Defense of Moscow medal. I think the wear to them is kinda strange, almost like "air bubbles" from bad melting. Also the "side" of the defense of stalingrad medal looks strange. I bought them from a guy who stood on the street and sold medals, he also had the "medal for rescuing a drowning person", and i guess that was fake because i heard almost all of them are, that is also another reason why i am worried. Please have a look at my medals and say what you think about them. For closer pictures just left click on the pictures. Thanks

Front of "Defense of Stalingrad medal"
    Attachment 165076
    Close up on front of "Defense of Stalingrad medal"
    Attachment 165067
    The strange looking side of "Defense of Stalingrad medal"
    Attachment 165077
    Back of "Defense of Stalingrad medal"
    Attachment 165075

Front of "Defense of Moscow medal"
    Attachment 165072
    Close up on front of "Defense of Moscow medal"
    Attachment 165068
    Back of "Defense of Moscow medal"
    Attachment 165066

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Strange wear on my soviet defense medals! Are they fake?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Strange wear on my soviet defense medals! Are they fake?

Sorry, you were right to be concerned. They are cast fakes. That is why the detail is bad with the pock marks and the casting seam around the edge.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Aw that is bad news! But I'm happy i now know they are fakes. Thanks Adrian. I give all iteems i found out is fake to a friend of mine, i think he apreciates them even though i tell him they are fake Anyway... I also bought this medal from that guy, do you think it is fake as well? It's the Medal for the Defense of the Soviet Polar Region. It is thicker then the fake Moscow and Stalingrad medal and also have very different color. Here comes the pictures!

Whole medal
    Attachment 165097

Close up on front
    Attachment 165094

Close up on back
    Attachment 165095

The thickness difference
    Attachment 165093

Color difference to the fake Stalingrad medal
    Attachment 165092

Sorry that one is bad too. Note the poorly affixed suspension ring.

Cheers, Ade.

Monuir, could you post better pictures of Polar region's reverse? I have some doubts.
    I like it's obverse, and I think it can be original with blooey, shabby ring.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Sorry, you were right to be concerned. They are cast fakes. That is why the detail is bad with the pock marks and the casting seam around the edge.

Cheers, Ade.
    Unfortunately, Ade is right about the particular medal. I have already commented the process of cheap `` sand casting``. It leaves traces ``pocks`` and the seam that can be removed by wheel sand paper and polished smooth but fakers do not take care about it. Though, ``pocks`` can be seen if metal is exposed to moisture for a long time, but the rest of the surface is smooth. Before you buy an item, get familiar with the process of production: even the cheapest medals, e.g.Franz Joseph WW I merit medal, has perfectly smooth surface and well executed edges. Cheers,
    Ivan

?

Quote by Molodes View Post
    Monuir, could you post better pictures of Polar region's reverse? I have some doubts.
    Hey man! Im out in the woods now, but will be back on a few days, i will take closer pictures and hopefully it wount be fake! Thanks and happy new year

?

Quote by Molodes View Post
    Molodes! Check my new forum thread, i have posted really good close ups on the polar region medal and it would be awesome if you could comment on it, if it is fake or not! Cheers m8!