Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Thinking about buying a Medal for Combat Service

Article about: And could use your expert opinions, please I found these 3 medals from the same seller. I just wanted to get one to go with my Mosin-Nagant rifles. The first one is unnumbered, and this is h

Default Thinking about buying a Medal for Combat Service

And could use your expert opinions, please I found these 3 medals from the same seller. I just wanted to get one to go with my Mosin-Nagant rifles.

The first one is unnumbered, and this is his description:

Medal for Combat Service (McDaniel type 2, variation 4, unnumbered

Thinking about buying a Medal for Combat ServiceThinking about buying a Medal for Combat Service

The second one

Medal for Combat Service (McDaniel type 2, variation 2, impressed: 2022798

Thinking about buying a Medal for Combat ServiceThinking about buying a Medal for Combat ServiceThinking about buying a Medal for Combat Service

and the third

Medal for Combat Service (McDaniel type 2, variation 3, impressed: 2624777

Thinking about buying a Medal for Combat ServiceThinking about buying a Medal for Combat ServiceThinking about buying a Medal for Combat Service

Thank you for any and all your help. Oh, and how much could one expect to pay for one of these medals? Thank you again

Paul

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Thinking about buying a Medal for Combat Service
    P
    Many

Default Re: Thinking about buying a Medal for Combat Service

To the best of my knowledge, the ones with serial numbers are WWII vintage, while the one without the sn might be from immediately post-war.

The two you have pictured with serial numbers have post-war suspensions, which is very common as suspensions and ribbons were changed when they wore out/ became dirty.

The suspension on the unnumbered medal must be original to that particular medal as it is a wartime suspension.

Here is my medal. I picked it up for $37:
    Thinking about buying a Medal for Combat ServiceThinking about buying a Medal for Combat Service

Thank you very much, yours is a nice example. I never thought much about the medals before, but reading all that's on this forum, it awakens an interest in more than blades and rifles hehe I just thought it would be interesting to have one or two for each country I've collected from. Thanks again for your help

Sounds good, Paul! My word is not final... wait for some of the more experienced guys to respond.

I am also going to collect a little bit of everything... May I suggest an Order of the Red Star? They're beautiful awards, and it's awesome to research them and find out what the individual soldier did to earn them. I am really fond of my Red Stars that once belonged to an Artillery Major and a political commissar... but I LOVE my Red Star that was earned by a T-34 tank driver who "killed ~100 Hitlerites!".

By the way, Combat Service medals with serial numbers can also be researched.

But every little bit helps hehe I never knew that they numbered their medals, or that you could research who it was awarded to. That's pretty cool. I've seen some pics of the red stars, it is a neat looking medal.

?

All three medals are good. Nr, 2624777 is probably a long service award, nr. 2022798 could be both a long service or a 'real' award. Might be something to keep in mind if you are going to consider researching them. The price Joe mentioned is about average for one of these. The unnumbered medals usually sell for slightly less.

Thank you Auke. There are a few days to go yet, I feel better armed now