Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Two campaign medals (Moscow and Leningrad)

Article about: I'm not a medal collector, so these are out of my area, but they came with some other items. I"m looking for comments on these so I know what to look for in the future. I'm looking for

Default Two campaign medals (Moscow and Leningrad)

I'm not a medal collector, so these are out of my area, but they came with some other items. I"m looking for comments on these so I know what to look for in the future. I'm looking for comments on the originality, ribbons, suspension, etc. The ring on the Moscow medal is uncut, while the Leningrad medal, the copper (?) ring is cut. Both have the same type suspension. Just looking for key thoughts on these.

Defense of Moscow, Ribbon seems 'new' relative to medal which has seen some wear, ring is uncut but has a reddish copper coloring to it. .
    Last edited by meyerse; 07-05-2016 at 02:29 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Two campaign medals (Moscow and Leningrad)
    P
    Many

The leningrad medal has the same suspension, Ribbon doesn't look 'new' but the ring has a gap.

I have always been a fan of two piece steel suspensions, which both of your examples appear to have. Agreed, the ribbon on the Defense of Moscow has been replaced, but both the medal and suspension are good, in my opinion. I also like the Defense of Leningrad, the medal, ribbon, and suspension, all appear original to the piece, cut ring notwithstanding; just my thoughts. . .

Thank you very much for the information. I have a couple more that came with some items that I'll share here too. Need to set up the camera again.

Liberation of Warsaw. My novice look at this suggests that, like the Moscow medal, I suspect the ribbon might be a replacement.

Victory over Germany. The ribbon could be original ?

Liberation of Warsaw, agreed, replaced ribbon, but is well conditioned (gild, detail, ring, etc.) with two-piece steel suspension I like. In my opinion, the replaced ribbon is not a deal breaker.

Regarding the Victory over Germany, I am inclined, based on your photographs, to agree. I think the ribbon is original to the piece.

These are just my thoughts. . .

Okay to continue on, this one has me a bit more perplexed.
    I THINK, given the serial number, is should have a square suspension (red) but it has an old two piece brass (?) suspension and the ribbon looks fairly old.
    a period update to the new suspension? one of the early ones on a new suspension? Something else?

Hello,

Are you sure about the serial number that match with 1st type suspension ?

If so, that's not a problem in fact a soldier can have his first suspension damage and change for the "late" model or has just changed for respect the rules in 1943.
    I have the same thing with a bravery medal number 190 018 who as normaly a red suspension but she have a late one.

Quote by Bagration View Post
    Hello,

Are you sure about the serial number that match with 1st type suspension ?
    Not sure at all, my understanding was that:
    For 'Courage' the transition somewhere near 425,000 ??
    For 'Services' the transition somewhere near 500,000 ??

Is this correct?

To your point, the parts of the 'services' medal do look like they have been together a long time.

P.S photography suggestions welcomed!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast