Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Two temporary award documents for same man, same date, both Order of Red Star

Article about: Hereby I wanna show my latest addition to the collection which, in my eyes, is quite a remarkable set. It contains two temporary award certificates, both for the Order of Red Star, both awar

Default Two temporary award documents for same man, same date, both Order of Red Star

Hereby I wanna show my latest addition to the collection which, in my eyes, is quite a remarkable set. It contains two temporary award certificates, both for the Order of Red Star, both awarded on 22nd of March 1944, both awarded to Senior Sergeant Nikolay Yurevich Smetana from 221st Mariupol Rifle Division. The Order of Red Star serial numbers are # 481626 and # 481629, only 3 numbers apart and the document numbers are even closer, #987482 and 987483! Now I need to find both Red Stars

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Two temporary award documents for same man, same date, both Order of Red Star
    P
    Many

What initially could be a clerical error turned out to be that Nikolay indeed earned two Orders of the Red Star in a very short period of time. Unfortunately the website podvignaroda.ru is very slow with opening documents at the the moment so I have to check again another time.
    I did however managed to confirm that his first Red Star is awarded for actions on 20 october 1943 and the second Red Star for actions on 29 october 1943, both in south-western Ukraine. During both actions he managed to destroy German tanks, officers and soldiers and succesfully counterattacking and kicking out Germans out of a town. Podvignaroda also confirmed Nikolay served in the 695 Rifle Regiment from the 221 Rifle Division.

Hope to figure out more when the website works normally again.

i like pamyat-naroda.ru it's more reliable in terms of connectivity. Indeed, two orders awarded 6 days apart!

ORS#1
    503 Service Temporarily Unavailable

ORS#2
    503 Service Temporarily Unavailable

Thanks a lot for the links. Also nice to see the map of the battle route of the soldier. Will bookmark this website
    I only notice one can not save images from the website.

Here are the Prikaz and Citation dated November 10th, 1943.

Two temporary award documents for same man, same date, both Order of Red Star Two temporary award documents for same man, same date, both Order of Red Star

Two temporary award documents for same man, same date, both Order of Red Star Two temporary award documents for same man, same date, both Order of Red Star

Here are the Prikaz and Citation dated November 16th, 1943

Note: To save images from pamyat-naroda.ru simply take a screen shot and edit/crop as needed.

Thanks a lot Bill. Your help is very much appreciated!!