Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1854-56 Crimean "Victoria Cross" Medal Group

Article about: I nearly fell off my chair when I saw this!!!.. 495,000 for this medal grouping & they still charge you nearly 6 pounds post!! lol.. I did some sums & found out I can't afford it..ev

?

Default 1854-56 Crimean "Victoria Cross" Medal Group

I nearly fell off my chair when I saw this!!!.. 495,000 for this medal grouping & they still charge you nearly 6 pounds post!! lol.. I did some sums & found out I can't afford it..even if I sold the houses,car,dogs & Missus I would still be short. So I thought I would leave it to Lord Ashcroft to buy. Cheers Terry. I hope the link works???1854-56 Crimean "Victoria Cross" Medal Group

Very nice Tel! But it's free shipping assuming you're in the UK on anything over £49.00 according to the blurb......
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Right I will have 2 if that is the case!!! lol.. Bit like E-bay with combined shipping get it while you can!! Cheers Terry.

Yes, the VC's do bring astounding prices...The average person will never have the chance to simply Touch one, much less own them.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

I did read somewhere that lord Ashcroft's collection is worth around 30 million pounds. Now that is a lot of money. I don't think my collection is going to get to that much. But I am happy with what I have so far...Could always squeeze in a VC or 2. Cheers Terry.

?

The only VC that is ever likely to see my collection is one from a "Lucky Bag"!! (If you are old enough to remember those!)

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Never mind the VC, I want the mounted cannonball that blew his arm off.

The scarce and most interesting Crimean War 'Double Action' Victoria Cross group of four awarded to Major J.S. Knox.

Major Knox was recommended for the V.C. firstly for gallantry as a Sergeant in the Scots Fusilier Guards at the Battle of the Alma, 20 September 1854 - the army's first V.C. Action - rewarded with a commission for his conduct at the Battle of Inkermann, 5 November 1854, where he took part in the storming and capture of the Sandbag Battery, and single-handedly faced a party of enemy skirmishers.

He was recommended again for his bravery when, as a Lieutenant in the Rifle Brigade, he volunteered as part of the ladder-party for the first assault on the heavily defended Grand Redan, 18 June 1855, where his left arm was blown away by cannon fire.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1854-56 Crimean "Victoria Cross" Medal Group  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Yeah I did think that, if my arm was blown off the last thing I would be looking for is the cannon ball that done it..I would looking to tend the wound first!! lol..before I passed out.. Cheers Terry.

?

According to Wikipedia, this group was last sold in 2010 for £252,000 - seems incredible that the dealer can reasonably expect to get nearly double the price after only 4 years! Pity my earnings haven't kept pace!

Philip

Last edited by DrPMC; 05-12-2014 at 07:54 AM.

?

I think that is a tad pricey then if you are expecting twice as much in such a short time!!!. Mind you I am out of the game with my earnings so somebody else can have them. I will stick with a cheap one of E-bay... Cheers Terry.