Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

1940 Dunkirk medal + Document

Article about: Hi, I would like to share this item from my personal collection of WW2. Its a Dunkirk Medal with, i think, its respective document created by the town of Dunkirk to commemorate the defence o

Default 1940 Dunkirk medal + Document

Hi,

I would like to share this item from my personal collection of WW2.

Its a Dunkirk Medal with, i think, its respective document created by the town of Dunkirk to commemorate the defence of the area during the retreat of the British Expeditionary Force.

This one was issued to Georges Jean François Lognos (Sergeant Engineer of the 970/1). This medals has the designers signature on the reverse: "École des Metiers d'Art Paris", as you can see on the pictures.

Its distribution was administered by the French Dunkirk Veterans Association.
    Initially it was awarded only to the French defenders of the Dunkirk pocket, numbering about 30,000. In 1970 the qualification for the award was expanded to include most of the British who served in the Dunkirk sector and their rescue forces
    source of this information:
    The Dunkirk Medal 1940

Can anyone add some information, or maybe, correct me if i'm wrong?
    I would like to know more about it.

Regards

Fabio
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1940 Dunkirk medal + Document   1940 Dunkirk medal + Document  

1940 Dunkirk medal + Document   1940 Dunkirk medal + Document  

Default Re: 1940 Dunkirk medal + Document

Hi Fabio, I cannot give you any more info, but you are correct in what you say.

My Uncle was awarded the medal. Sadly I have no pics of it.

Cheers, Ade.

Nice medal fabio and a great doc, i think these medals are being faked...but your one is 100%..

How do you tell whether it is real or fake? I got my father the Dunkirk medal when it was first issued (it was the only medal he ever wanted although he had around 5 stars). He always said I should have it but my Mother gave it to my brother along with his other medals. My daughter does have the certificate (I would say the one above is authentic). Does anyone know if it is possible to get a duplicate from the French authorities and, if so, how I would go about it. I know there is a company in Worcestershire which does copies but would prefer a duplicate if possible.

Hi, "Dunkirkdaughter".
    I can't help you, right now.
    I purchased this medal/document from a fellow french
    collector who comes to my Brazil (where i live), very often.
    I'll ask him if he know if it's possible to get a duplicate.
    If i get any new info, i'll let you know.
    regards

Fabio