Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

about US Bronze Star

Article about: The uniform from Lt Lambeth that I have posted in the collections forum has a bronze star ribbon. We have contacted NARA and they said that the paper work was destroyed in the fire. Is there

Default about US Bronze Star

The uniform from Lt Lambeth that I have posted in the collections forum has a bronze star ribbon. We have contacted NARA and they said that the paper work was destroyed in the fire. Is there any way to find the citation for the bronze star since we have no idea how he got it? We are getting a copy of the medals sent. Will there be a writeup sent with it?
    thanks
    Sam

Default Re: about US Bronze Star

You might be able to find something posted on the internet. If you have any contact info for the LT's family, you might want to contact them and see if they have a copy of the citation. Replacement medals are not sent with a copy of the citation. The only time a citation accompanies the medal is when it is initially awarded.

I got the collection from the family and they had none of the medals or paperwork. Would I be able to find the citation anywhere else since NARA has nothing? I thought that that sort of paperwork would be kept if the official records of the unit but where that is and if I would have access to it I simply don't know.

It's possible that the citation information was kept for a period of time by the issuing unit, but I don't imagine it would be around now as most records of that type would be destroyed after a few years. If there was an official history of the unit he was assigned to, it's possible it could be there. You might try the Center for Military History at history.army.mil. Good luck.

If he was not Killed many times separation centers like Fort devens mass or lido beach Ny Kept some copies.

?

Another option is to contact the cemetery where is interred. They may have a copy of his DD-214 (separation papers would need to be provided to receive a military burial) which may confirm if the Bronze Star was issued for valorous service or if it was a CIB upgrade (excerpt from Wiki on this below):

"The WWII regulations did not formally prescribe a specific combat service period establishing the infantryman’s eligibility for being awarded a Combat Infantryman Badge, thus, in 1947, the U.S. Government implemented a policy authorizing the retroactive awarding of the Bronze Star Medal to World War II veteran soldiers who had been awarded the Combat Infantryman Badge, because the CIB was awarded only to soldiers who had borne combat duties befitting the recognition conferred by a Bronze Star Medal. Both awards required a commander’s recommendation and a citation in the pertinent orders."

Link to his Findagrave memorial which provides the cemetery info:

William F Lambeth (1915 - 2003) - Find A Grave Memorial

If no luck here, it's also possible that he could have filed a copy of his separation papers with his county clerk. Many GI's did this upon returning home. Looking through Ancestry, he bounced around a lot. Per the 1940 census, he was living in San Diego, so this may be a good start:

https://arcc.sdcounty.ca.gov/Pages/o...locations.aspx

One last option is to contact the local VFW or American Legion. Per public records, he lived in Baker City, OR.

If all else fails, go the route of a private researcher. Geoff at Golden Arrow research is great at tracking down records. He was able to locate discharge paperwork for a vet whose grouping I had, via a medical claim the vet submitted through the VA. Not sure if you are a member of USMF, however if you are, be sure to mention this when inquiring about pricing.

http://www.goldenarrowresearch.com/

In any case, good luck!

?

Just looked at the photos of the uniform and noticed he was artillery, so the CIB upgrade theory may not apply.