Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Africa Star grouping and trench art

Article about: Hi These came to me via chance. Any comments welcome as it is not my area of collecting........... cheers Tony

Default Africa Star grouping and trench art

Hi

These came to me via chance. Any comments welcome as it is not my area of collecting...........

Africa Star grouping and trench artAfrica Star grouping and trench artAfrica Star grouping and trench artAfrica Star grouping and trench artAfrica Star grouping and trench artAfrica Star grouping and trench art

cheers

Tony

A good group Tony, any idea whose they were and which unit he served with. I have the same design tankard, marked Brass used in the manufacture of this tankard was salvaged from the battlefields of North Africa.

It is the 3rd example of one of these that I have seen.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

A nice little group , I am guessing the veteran would have served in EGYPT at some point judging by the mini pyramids! Leon.

Hi Jerry

I reckon that the tankard was readily available in the Cairo bazars after the war and sold to troops on Garrison duty. No info what so ever on the owner sadly. He has the home defence medal as well as the Africa star so must have been in for the start of the war.

Leon I think the three pyramids represent the ones at Giza just outside Cairo.

cheers for the input.

Tony

I too have a tankard such as this. Certainly nice to get such extras with the medals

Quote by spandau View Post
    Hi Jerry

I reckon that the tankard was readily available in the Cairo bazars after the war and sold to troops on Garrison duty. No info what so ever on the owner sadly. He has the home defence medal as well as the Africa star so must have been in for the start of the war.

Leon I think the three pyramids represent the ones at Giza just outside Cairo.

cheers for the input.

Tony
    Indeed Tony, always thought the same about the tankard, though there was one on the WAF estand at one time that the seller was trying to get $300 or thereabouts for it, dreaming of course.

My Dad had the defence along with his others and was a pre war terrier but was on the home front until going to Africa in late 41, so makes sense that it was similar for this guy, home front until sent to the desert, though you did qualify for it by doing either 3 years at home or 6 months in an area overseas subject to enemy attack or in danger of such.

Somewhat obvious that he was in Egypt as Leon mentioned, as I don't think anyone who served in Africa long enough to get the Africa Star did so without at least passing through Alex or Cairo and in most cases they spent a while in camps acclimatizing to the local conditions in Egypt.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.