Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Air Crew Europe Star Medal

Article about: After enough years of looking, I finally found a good one. First pictures with my new macro lens and new computer, so no Photo Shop, sorry for the sideways pic.

Default Air Crew Europe Star Medal

After enough years of looking, I finally found a good one. First pictures with my new macro lens and new computer, so no Photo Shop, sorry for the sideways pic.

MAP
    ?

Nice Paul. Minty

Gotta love a dedicated macro lens. But they do take a bit of practice to use well.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

The Air Crew Europe Star is the rarest of the British and Commonwealth Campaign Star medals, and usually the most expensive. I had one myself years ago when I collected medals, but the star was broken off from the hanger and I had to get a jeweler to expertly attach it to a donor 1939-45 Star hanger. A bit of no no, but it filled a missing space in my campaign star collection. You do need to be vigilant as these ones are faked in India or somewhere. They tend to have a more brassy look than copper/bronze tone seen in originals. I can't comment on this one posted as it's years since I handled one.

Quote by MAP View Post
    Nice Paul. Minty

Gotta love a dedicated macro lens. But they do take a bit of practice to use well.
    Thanks, I'm pretty happy with it. I'm so used to lenses with a zoom capability, this one is a fixed 100mm, so I have to learn to move the camera itself. I just need to find more small things to photograph

True Anderson, I've seen quite a few copies that were being sold as original. This site has a great side by side comparison
    The Air Crew Europe Star, Copy? Fake? Original?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Air Crew Europe Star Medal   Air Crew Europe Star Medal  

MAP
    ?

Haven't tried a 100mm. I guess you can stand a bit further back?? I had a 35mm and then traded it in for a 50mm. Yes, no zoom and you need to move the camera on a tripod back and forth which can be a pain. But the results are amazing once you figure it out

Test Photo Feedback?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Nice to get with the France and Germany bar also, Congrats ,Paul

Indeed nice find. I used to own one back in the day, over forty years ago.

You actually have two stars there, as the bar indicates another medal.
    Don't know why they did this, except to cut down on the amount
    of awards given, possibly - or to prevent ones rack from
    getting too long.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Actually Steve the France & Germany bar is correct for the Air Crew Europe Star as for other RAF theatres such as Italy would be without it.

Hi, the bar is correct and as you say steve, it was to cut down on multiple stars being awarded. You find air crew Europe's with the Atlantic bar as well on Coastal Command groups. Once D-Day had taken place you would not be awarded the Air Crew Europe star, but the France and Germany star instead, but of course, if you were already entitled to the award for service prior to that date, then the bar was added. Leon.

Thanks guys. I'm happy I finally finished my ww2 star collection with this one. It took forever to find a good one at a decent price. I know they're expensive, but I like bargains lol SO many copies out there being advertised as real ones.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast