Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Air Medal box, ribbons, paperwork and pilot wings

Article about: I purchased an air medal set (less the medal) at Brimfield MA flea market last week. It includes the box, lapel pin, ribbon with two oak leaf clusters, piece of ribbon, wings and a tie clasp

Default Air Medal box, ribbons, paperwork and pilot wings

I purchased an air medal set (less the medal) at Brimfield MA flea market last week. It includes the box, lapel pin, ribbon with two oak leaf clusters, piece of ribbon, wings and a tie clasp. there are two sets of general orders issuing the oak leaf clusters with the name William D,. Templeton checked off. Internet search quickly yielded lots of great information. Templeton was a lead pilot in the 490th Bomb Group European theater. A fellow crewman James Hutchinson wrote books of their experiences. His name also listed in the general order. Templeton passed away in 1975. His medal separated from the rest of the set who knows how long ago.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Air Medal box, ribbons, paperwork and pilot wings   Air Medal box, ribbons, paperwork and pilot wings  

Air Medal box, ribbons, paperwork and pilot wings   Air Medal box, ribbons, paperwork and pilot wings  

Air Medal box, ribbons, paperwork and pilot wings   Air Medal box, ribbons, paperwork and pilot wings  

Air Medal box, ribbons, paperwork and pilot wings  

What a great find! And the documents bring the objects to life, you actually have a photo of Lt. Templeton. Have you found a copy of the crewman's book?

I found excerpts of james hutchinson's book online. I'm now watching for copies.