Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Australian Army MP SGT Curphey's medal group. (Impressive)

Article about: I took this photo on a trip up to the Ordnance Museum at Bandiana (here in Victoria) a while back, and was impressed with his group of medals that are on display in the museum. Bob

Default Australian Army MP SGT Curphey's medal group. (Impressive)

I took this photo on a trip up to the Ordnance Museum at Bandiana (here in Victoria) a while back, and was impressed with
    his group of medals that are on display in the museum.

Bob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian Army MP SGT Curphey's medal group. (Impressive)  

That is one medal bar!
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Like Keith Payne VC, must have had to walk sideways through the mess door

?

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    Like Keith Payne VC, must have had to walk sideways through the mess door

i have had the pleasure of being face to face with Keith Payne VC Medals . and he is a Very Humble Man

Greg

Quote by Studly View Post
    i have had the pleasure of being face to face with Keith Payne VC Medals . and he is a Very Humble Man

Greg
    I have seen a couple of interviews with him and he appears as such.

?

Bob thanks for the photo looks like a nice rack he has!!!....Been through some wars.. Cheers Terry.

And the good SGT would also be entitled to the Australian Defence Medal, which came into effect about five or six years back.

Re Keith Payne VC, he has poured me a few cold beers, way back in the early 1970's, he was guest of honour at the Keith Payne VC club
    at Lavarack Barracks in Townsville, and was behind the bar for a while for the occasion !

Bob

amazing man

I have no idea what the individual medals are for, but impressive non the less.

SGT E.H.Curphy, BEM (Dec)

In the late 1930s Eric Hovell Curphey joined the CMF on full-time duty.

In 1942 Eric took the oath and became V330780 PTE E.Curphey doing basic training with 10 BDE GP in Seymour and then posted to 37 Battalion Seymour. It was during this time that Eric changed from CMF(FTD) to the AIF, being subsequently posted to Independent Company AIF in Northern Command, then to 2/3 Cavalry Squadron, where he saw service in New Guinea in 1943, before returning to Queensland.

From 1943 to 1946 Eric served with 7th Australian Division Provost Company and 1 Armoured Division Provost Company in the Pacific Region at Morotai and Balik Papan and later with the British Commonwealth Occupation Forces, 34 Infantry Brigade Provost Company, in Japan. He remained in Japan until 1953, with only a break from April 1952 to May 1953 with the British Commonwealth Forces KOREA. It was during this stay in Japan that Eric got married.

He returned to Australia in 1953 and proceeded on leave until he was posted to Eastern Command Provost Company before heading home to Victoria in January 1954, to take up residence with the Bandiana Detachment, as NCO in charge.

In February 1967 Eric again left Australia to serve in South Vietnam with the AFV Provost Unit. Whilst there, Eric was named in the 1967 Queen's Birthday Honours List and was awarded the Biritsh Empire Medal.

3913 CPL E.H. Curphey BEM returned home in February 1968 and again took up residence in Bandiana, posted to Southern Command Detachment 1 CommZ Provost Company, loaned back to Southern Command Provost Company Albury Detachment, as Detachment I/C.

To meet an establishment increase in the Bandiana Detachment, Eric attended a SNCO Course and was subsequently promoted SGT in 1969.

Eric passed away on 7 February 2002 at 1730 hrs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast