Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Awards

Article about: Hi Gents. Just a question realy. Did men in the Home Guard...'Dads Army' get general campaign medals and the like, also Folk who were ARP's etc or were they only give 'bravery' medals when e

hog
    ?

Default Awards

Hi Gents.
    Just a question realy.
    Did men in the Home Guard...'Dads Army' get general campaign medals and the like, also Folk who were ARP's etc or were they only awarded 'bravery' medals when earned ?
    Many thanks in advance for any info.
    Last edited by hog; 01-08-2015 at 08:07 AM.

Hi Hog, most of the Home Front services were eligible for the Defence Medal. Leon.
    Attached Images Attached Images Awards 

As leon said they were definately eligible for the Defence Medal.
    A quick search on google came up with this too,

The qualifying period for the Defence Medal for members of the Home Guard, was three years (1080 days) service between 14th May, 1940 and 31st December, 1944 (when the Home Guard was stood down).

Cheers Mick

I think ARP etc would probably only be eligible for the George medal. Home fronters would only be eligible for the Defence.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

hog
    ?

Many thanks Gentlemen.

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi Hog, most of the Home Front services were eligible for the Defence Medal. Leon.

Yes, both Home Guard and I think, ARP (under the banner of Civil Defence Organisation) were eligible for the Defence Medal which would be attracted by 3 years normal service in UK but also awarded sooner in the event of wounding, death, receipt of a gallantry award etc.

The George Medal as with the George Cross is a gallantry award primarily intended for civilians but also awarded to military personnel for acts of gallantry not in the face of the enemy and for which purely military awards would not be appropriate. The George Cross has been awarded several times to military personnel in Iraq and Afghanistan mostly in circumstances involving IED, bomb disposal and occurrences in minefield. The most widely media reported is probably SSGT Olaf Schmid for dealing with 70 IED the last of which sadly killed him. The george Cross is ranked equal to the Victoria Cross.

Thomas ALDERSON, Leonard MILES and Roy HARRIS of ARP all won the GC as did William FOSTER of the HG.
    Charity BLICK, Edward REDKNAPP and Albert SAMBRIDGE were ARP GM recipients.

I know this isn't quite what you asked but it seems to follow on.

I hope it is of use.

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Edward Medal before the George Cross which I think came about in 1940! So if you were awarded the EM or Albert medal you could exchange these medals for the GC....Not everybody took the offer but most did...Cheers Terry.

Quote by Tango View Post
    Edward Medal before the George Cross which I think came about in 1940! So if you were awarded the EM or Albert medal you could exchange these medals for the GC....Not everybody took the offer but most did...Cheers Terry.
    Correct, the George Cross together with the George Medal were instituted in 1940 during the Blitz to recognise acts of civilian bravery with the George Cross ranking 2nd to the Victoria Cross although it is stricly equal when awarded to a civilian (it is available to service personnel too) because a civilian (as opposed to a non-combattant embedded with the military) could never win a VC.

Anyway, I digress, the Albert Medal and the Edward Medal were both civilian rescue/life saving medals, the Edward specifically for Miners and Quarrymen and the Albert for others. The last Albert Medals were awarded in 1970 and the last Edward Medal was awarded in 1948. Both were discontinued in 1971 when the George Cross award criteria were extended to encompass acts for which these two medals would previously have been awarded. As stated above, recipients of the discontinued medals were invited to exchange but this was not mandatory. Medal collectors would say I am sure that this was a good thing as those medals that remained in circulation became more rare as a result of the option to exchange being accepted by some holders.

I hope this helps

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Thats right Mark, some good info here... AM I did see for sale once & by golly it commanded a high price some like 28,000 pounds if I remember right??... Cheers Terry.