Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best carboot find of the year VC group

Article about: Its still amazes me what turns up on carboots , Picked up this group of medals and paperwork the other week to Richard Wakeford VC ,The medals with the grouping are replacement medals he has

Default Best carboot find of the year VC group

Its still amazes me what turns up on carboots , Picked up this group of medals and paperwork the other week to Richard Wakeford VC ,The medals with the grouping are replacement medals he has had done to wear instead of the originals but still nicely done and this is as close as i think i will ever get to owning a VC group ,here is a little info on Capt Richard Wakeford

Wakeford was born in Kensington, London, and educated at Westminster School.

Wakeford was 22 years old, and a temporary captain in the 2/4th Battalion, The Hampshire Regiment of the British Army, during the Second World War when the following deed took place for which he was awarded the VC.

On 13 May 1944 near Cassino, Italy, Captain Wakeford, accompanied by his orderly and armed only with a revolver, went forward and killed a number of men from the German 1st Parachute Division and took 20 prisoners. When attacking a hill feature the following day his company came under heavy fire, although wounded in the face and both arms, Captain Wakeford pressed home the attack. He was wounded again, but reached the objective and consolidated the position

Will most likely put this lot into auction at some point , there is alot of paper and photos i havent shown
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Best carboot find of the year VC group   Best carboot find of the year VC group  

Best carboot find of the year VC group   Best carboot find of the year VC group  

Nice finds, thanks for sharing!

Mart

More Photos
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Best carboot find of the year VC group   Best carboot find of the year VC group  

more photos

Best carboot find of the year VC group  

Jammy bugger!

Thank you Harry was well pleased on finding this lot

WOW what a find, even if copies, they are are his official/tailor replacements, just amazing
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Superb find, some great paperwork and photographs, i wonder who as the original awards as the family probably do not if all this lot became available? Leon.

Very interesting. I echo the question above, curious if you know who has the originals?

The location of his original medals is at the Company of Haberdashers London as he was a member there I have some paperwork showing his membership

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast